Adventures In Microscopy

Missourian

Missourian - thanks for the information and the inspiration to try it. A question - do you know if an iPhone 4 will work for this? (I haven't gone through all the many responses in the thread yet so sorry if this has been answered already.) Also - do you use a binocular microscope for these? I have a monocular microscope and wonder if it will work too?

Edited by Jersey

Missourian - thanks for the information and the inspiration to try it. A question - do you know if an iPhone 4 will work for this? (I haven't gone through all the many responses in the thread yet so sorry if this has been answered already.) Also - do you use a binocular microscope for these? I have a monocular microscope and wonder if it will work too?

Thanks. I use an iPhone 4s. The scope is binocular, but one eyepiece should be just as good. I should try to take a picture through both eyepieces and make a stereogram.... The main thing is to have enough room for the fossil to fit below the objective lens. Some microscopes may not leave room for much more than microfossils.

Context is critical.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to learn more. These are really cool creatures/pictures. What is the most common mineral or rock microscopic lifeforms are found in?

On 1/1/2014 at 7:41 PM, younghound said:

I need to learn more. These are really cool creatures/pictures. What is the most common mineral or rock microscopic lifeforms are found in?

Thanks. Microfossils can probably be found in any kind of sedimentary rock, but they tend to turn up the most in shale or limestone. It's hard to say until they start to turn up, so the best strategy is to look for signs with a loupe and then place anything found (or possibly found) under the microscope. Sometimes microfossil-bearing matrix has a certain appearance with the naked eye in the field. A fine fossil hash containing microfossils can have a finely granular or salt-and-pepper appearance. I'll always collect some samples to check with the microscope at home. When I found this piece: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33865-adventures-in-microscopy/?p=402017 , I really didn't know what I had, but I figured it was interesting enough to take a closer look.

In my Pennsylvanian rocks, at least, conodonts are most easily found in black, platy shales. They may be found in other rock types, but can be difficult to see and collect. Ostracods have turned up in many places and often occur in large numbers. Forams have been a little more challenging. The white, tubular ones in this thread are easily spotted, especially when they are in great numbers. I haven't had much success yet with other types of small forams.

Context is critical.

I've been finding an assortment of strange leaf-like fossils at a spot in the Pennsylvanian Quindaro Shale in Miami County, Kansas:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/26021-mystery-fossils-pennsylvanian/

I took the time to examine a couple under the microscope. Some branching forms:

attachicon.gif4452-pahoeid-3.jpg

Up close, they don't reveal much fine detail:

attachicon.gif4459-pahoeid-4.jpg

I haven't seen anything like these at any other site -- or anywhere in the literature, for that matter. I figure they are a form of red algae, similar to Mesophyllum or Peyssonnelia that can be found in modern reefs. I don't know if these Pennsylvanian forms are rare or uniquely preserved in shale. They very well could be the common Archaeolithophyllum, which are normally thoroughly locked in limestone.

The small, spaghetti-like strands are unusual as well. They are calcified and completely featureless. Possibilities include sponges, green algae, or traces.

They look like ichnofossils... infilled burrows...

On 1/3/2014 at 7:48 AM, pleecan said:

They look like ichnofossils... infilled burrows...

They are thin sheets, often with attached epifauna (bryozoans and tiny productid brachs). I described them some more in another thread: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/26021-mystery-fossils-pennsylvanian/?p=456794 . Since the fossils and matrix are often very similar in color, it can be hard to get a really good photo of a cross section.

Context is critical.

They most certainly are not trace fossils. They are found in situ like this:

Pahoeids-in-situ.png

(Matrix is gray; fossil sheets/thalli are maroon; attached epifauna are green)

They do resemble certain trace fossils in some cases, but I can't see any way to have a trace lined with an indurated membrane, and then have brachs and bryozoans attach to the bottom side (i.e. sole). The presence of the epifauna tell me these things were once upright or at least arched over the sea floor (or both).

Context is critical.

• 1 month later...

Canid molar

Canis latrans?

Pleistocene?, Kansas River alluvium

Kansas City metro

post-6808-0-12597600-1332485389.jpg

post-6808-0-19229100-1332485380.jpg

Context is critical.

Through the scope....

7016-tooth-2.jpg

There are some interesting patterns along the fine fractures in the enamel:

7019-tooth-2-detail.jpg

Other side of the tooth:

7024-tooth-1.jpg

7034-tooth-1-detail.jpg

Context is critical.

On 2/20/2014 at 3:37 PM, Bullsnake said:

That is really, really cool!

Quite intrepid of you to be on the river now! What, were you ice skating?

It's an old find. I asked about the id of the tooth in another thread, and then wondered about the dark lines. So out came the microscope. :)

Speaking of the Kansas River, I'd love to walk the bars again, assuming you can even get down there anymore.

Context is critical.

• 7 years later...

Here are microscopic images of the amber insects in fluorescence mode. 

I wish I could have more specimens to image.

Hope that a huge batch of amber I recently ordered will bring more discoveries.

Open to any collaborations as well.

Edited by KOI