Adventures In Microscopy

Missourian

Fine hash

Kansas City Group, Pennsylvanian

Excelsior Springs, Missouri

1980-fine-hash.jpg

1954-fine-hash-1.jpg

Fossils include Osagia, fusulinids, bryozoans, brachiopods, and trilobites (at least one pygidium).

Context is critical.

More fine hash....

1962-fine-hash-2.jpg

1967-fine-hash-3.jpg

The fragments are well worn. Ammovertellid forams are attached to some.

Context is critical.

More like scrapple than hash...awesome! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These are amazing photos (at least for a newbie like me!)

I wonder how those fossils would have gathered so cleanly,,, If they are a simple accumulation at the bottom of the sea, then why would the grains of sand between the organic matter also not become fossilised (and clutter the scene)...;

BTW, I am just sharing my thoughts ''out loud''. No need to try to answer those questions !! :D

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Florida. Am looking forward to the hills of Tennessee and maybe randomly pick-up rocks here and there. But we are supposed to have rain all the way, so that may be difficult. My wife may not be fussy about sharing a car with a soggy companion! But I don't want to give you the wrong impression...she is a very tolerant person and has been adjusting beautifully with my non-stop retirement passions. :D

Fish mandible with teeth

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

post-6808-0-97739400-1357801188_thumb.jp

The jaw is 26 mm in length. I had to combine two images to fit it all in.

Your experimentation with this technology is really paying off!

This is a wonderful photo - fantastic fossil!

Thanks for sharing this experiment here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Missourian, My avatar is a self collected ostracod from the Wanakah Shale in upstate NY. Best photo I've taken to date. Regarding the microfossil addiction, it started back in high school years ago and I have no intention to admit that I have a problem! :D

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Either of those last two photos would make a great puzzle!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

On 1/11/2013 at 9:53 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Your experimentation with this technology is really paying off!

This is a wonderful photo - fantastic fossil!

Thanks for sharing this experiment here.

Regards,

Thanks. For some reason, I hadn't placed that jaw under the scope until now. I was absolutely amazed by the intricate detail. I didn't expect that layering of the enamel within the teeth would be so distinct.

Context is critical.

On 1/11/2013 at 9:23 AM, Cormoran2 said:

I wonder how those fossils would have gathered so cleanly,,, If they are a simple

accumulation at the bottom of the sea, then why would the grains of sand between the organic

matter also not become fossilised (and clutter the scene)...;

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Florida. Am looking forward to the hills of Tennessee

and maybe randomly pick-up rocks here and there. But we are supposed to have rain all the

way, so that may be difficult. My wife may not be fussy about sharing a car with a soggy

companion! But I don't want to give you the wrong impression...she is a very tolerant person

and has been adjusting beautifully with my non-stop retirement passions.

I think they must have accumulated above the wave base. Most of the fragments were beat to heck. Once you're in Florida, you may see similar deposits of shells on the beach and in the water.

And a couple relaxing days on the beach should smooth out whatever happens in Tennessee. :)

On 1/11/2013 at 10:08 AM, Acryzona said:

Missourian, My avatar is a self collected ostracod from the Wanakah Shale in upstate NY.

Best photo I've taken to date. Regarding the microfossil addiction, it started back in high

school years ago and I have no intention to admit that I have a problem!

With the frustration of not finding larger fossils, not to mention the headaches of determining which property is what, it's nice to get into types of fossils that can be collected in abundance in many different spots.

On 1/11/2013 at 10:30 AM, Ramo said:

Either of those last two photos would make a great puzzle!

I've thought about that. That hash... I mean scrapple would be perfect. I need it to be 'busier' than the micro images above. :)

Context is critical.

Crustacean in phosphatic nodule

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

2001-Muncie-crustacean.jpg

The little guy is 7 mm from arched back to tips.

It would be perfect with a squeeze of lemon and served with rice pilaf. :)

Context is critical.

Crustacean in phosphatic nodule

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian...

Oh wow!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Last summer, I collected a bunch of limestone that contains well-preserved silicified gastropods. Once home, I dropped the chunks in muriatic acid. Many fossils remained after the matrix dissolved away:

210-Winterset-residue-1.jpg

Just today, I finally got around to examining the residue with proper magnification:

2032-Winterset-silica-gastropods.jpg

The gastropods here are Hypselentoma and Worthenia. The one with an operculum in the aperture is about 4 mm across. The white, tubular things are probably silica-filled root molds.

Also present are several classic microfossils:

2041-Winterset-silica-micros.jpg

Grouped here are four ostracods, two arenaceous forams (Ammovertella and undetermined), and several needle-like things that may be sponge spicules. The largest ostracod is probably about 0.5 mm long.

I may spend weeks picking through this residue.... :)

Oh yeah.... Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri

Context is critical.

Picking through the Winterset residue continues to bring surprises....

This 'gastropod' looks a bit different than the others:

2139-Winterset-residue-Eoasianites-1.jpg

Is it a goniatite? Maybe. Does it have septa? Why, yes it does:

2147-Winterset-residue-Eoasianites-2.jpg

This most likely is Glaphyrites. It is about 2 mm across.

On the other hand, I have no idea what this is:

2122-Winterset-residue-unknown.jpg

It is a bit bigger than 1 mm. I thought it could the foram Polytaxis, but the 'rings' are wrong. It could also be calcareous algae, or something different altogether. I'll have to dig around in the books and see if anything comes up....

Context is critical.

More Winterset residue....

The thing in the middle that resembles a donut with coconut sprinkles is possibly a burrow lined with various fragments of shell and other debris:

2103-Winterset-residue-donut.jpg

Perhaps a small arthropod is the builder.

More of the 'needles' are scattered around it. I thought these could be sponge spicules, but I now think many if not all are crystals of calcite that formed during early diagenesis and were later replaced with silica. A few star-like cluster of 'needles', like the one stuck to this goniatite, gave me my initial doubts:

Crystal-star.jpg

In the residue are several 'dust bunnies' that are made up of a mess of these needles along with various fossils and other detritus:

2136-Winterset-residue-dust-bunny.jpg

A few more:

2091-Winterset-residue-dust-bunnies.jpg

Here are many more 'needles', including some 'bundled' together:

2055-Winterset-residue-bundle.jpg

Context is critical.

Good stuff Missourian! Soon after you started this post i started looking closer at some of the stuff I have picked up in the past year or so and decided I better get me a microscope as well! I am waiting for it to come in the mail! Should be here in a day or two! Can't wait to investigate the micro world of the pennsylvanian! :) Thanks for this thread! Great pictures and great info!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Arachnids from the Pennsylvanian Upper Cherokee Group of Knob Noster, Missouri....

Spider (16 mm):

2189-spider-1.jpg

Scorpion tail? (~10 mm):

2163-scorpion.jpg

Context is critical.

A couple more spiders....

8 mm body:

2232-Spider-2.jpg

10 mm body:

2244-Spider-3.jpg

Upper Cherokee Group, Pennsylvanian

Knob Noster, Missouri

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

The scorpion tails definately something...

Theres some great fossils on here...I think whats just as imprssive is the clarity of the images.... I wish I could match it although holding a camera on the microscope eyepiece you do get some quality fluctuations... Heres my contribution...after a polish and an examination showing many Foraminifora within the sediments... I spotted this section through an echinoid spine in the sediments that had washed inside a nautilus body chamber.... Always looking for big stuff all the time you sometimes overlook the small bits...

post-1630-0-37346500-1358496863_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

PS... You just posted the 2 new spiders as I posted... Very nice....

On 1/18/2013 at 2:15 AM, Terry Dactyll said:

The scorpion tails definately something...

Theres some great fossils on here...I think whats just as imprssive is the clarity of the images.... I wish I could match it although holding a camera on the microscope eyepiece you do get some quality fluctuations... Heres my contribution...after a polish and an examination showing many Foraminifora within the sediments... I spotted this section through an echinoid spine in the sediments that had washed inside a nautilus body chamber.... Always looking for big stuff all the time you sometimes overlook the small bits...

Nice forams. I always love finding them in unexpected places.

I originally identified the 'scorpion tail' as such because its details matched a specimen in an illustration. The tapering form of my 'tail' gave me some doubts. On the other hand, it seems to be somewhat decomposed, so it may have lost its original form.

Regarding picture quality, I take lots of photos -- 10 to 15 in all cases. Most are more or less blurry, but usually at least one comes out sharp. I then throw away the rest. That's why I love digital photography. :)

Context is critical.

Regarding picture quality, I take lots of photos -- 10 to 15 in all cases. Most are more or less blury, but usually at least one comes out sharp. I then throw away the rest. That's why I love digital photography. :)

Noted... I need to take a leaf out of your book...

Eurypterid segment detail

Adelophthalmus sp.

Upper Cherokee Group, Pennsylvanian

Knob Noster, Missouri

13-Adelophthalmus-segment-detail-marked.jpg

Closer:

2211-Adelophthalmus-scales.jpg

Closer again:

2273-Adelophthalmus-scales-close.jpg

Context is critical.

Coooooool!

All new ground for these eyes: thanks!