Ibericancridae New Crab Familiy

MB

Ibericancridae new familiy have been described and published:

Ibericancridae, a new dakoticancroid family (Decapoda,Brachyura,Podotremata) from the upper Campanian (Upper Cretaceous) of Spain.

PEDRO ARTAL, DANIÈLE GUINOT, BARRY VAN BAKEL ET.AL.

Zootaxa 1907:1-27 (2008) October

Dakoticancroidea crabs until this moment, was known only on uppermost cretaceous of Guls of Mexico, USA and Mexico but never in other parts of the world.

Incredible, I have thought for years that a friend of mine had a Basque Dakoticancer (incomplete mud), the only one I have seen but it reminded me extremely to the Americans. I think that after the publication of this new family, I can assert on that classification. Thank you.

Sincerely yours.

Incredible, I have thought for years that a friend of mine had a Basque Dakoticancer (incomplete mud), the only one I have seen but it reminded me extremely to the Americans. I think that after the publication of this new family, I can assert on that classification. Thank you.

Sincerely yours.

Better tell your friend that could donate the crab to the Museum (Basque, of course...) , thus everybody could enjoy it.

Thanks

Better tell your friend that could donate the crab to the Museum (Basque, of course...) , thus everybody could enjoy it.

Thanks

Yeah, no problem. The MCNA has absolute access to his collection. Some of the crabs that are presented in the museum come from him.

Do you think that maybe a lot have been found by private collectors

who aren't aware (other than knowing they are crabs) exactly

they are? I mean in the countries that they have never been found in before?

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Nicholas

I was thinking the same thing, that's what happens with crab fossils a lot most IDs never go past.. "Crab"

Hi Roz, this is not the exact matter in my country, traditionally, crabs are find and studied, and here is a lot of new families, genus and species for describing still, most of them under study.

Collectors, usually, knows what is a crab, perfectely, but some of they dont want collaborate with the authors or museums.

Sad but true.

Fossils on private collections, NOT EXIST, only the samples DONATED AND DEPOSED on the Museums could be studied and cited in the works.

Thus, gaps on the philogenia or uncomplet studies or descriptions are dued to it.

About the countries that they have never been found in before... dont worry, step by step crabs are coming ;)

Have a good day gals and guys.

:)