Malcolmt

For many years I have used Vinac diluted in acetone as a consolidant and as an adheasive for non structural repairs of trilobites (ie when the exoskeleton flakes off as you are prepping). I currently have about 1/4 ounce of clear Vinac beads left. I already have both Butvar B76 and Paraloid B44 but do not think they work as well as the Vinac. Mind you it could all be in my head as I am generally quite resistant to change. I have used a thick application of Butvar as a reversable adheasive with good results.

Does anyone have any Vinac that they would be prepared to sell or trade with me. Not looking for a huge quantity about a pound would last me forever. The last batch I got was only 4 ounces and it lasted me about three years. (got it as part of a trade I did) Obviosly I would cover the shipping costs by the cheapest method.

Alternatively does anyone know a supplier that actually has Vinac that they are selling. A number of people have told me that some suppliers may still have old stock but no one could actually say who these suppliers were. I have tried contacting the Florida Paleontological society a few times and never get a response, as someone had metioned to me that you can still get it from them ut that was about a year ago. I got my Butvar and Paraloid from museum Services Corporation but they do not sell Vinac. Thay are recommending the Paraloid as a replacement.

I have heard conflicting reports that a) it is no longer manufactured, B) it is still manufactured but under a different name. Black Hills institute indicates that Vinac is no longer manufactured and that they are no substituing for Vinac in order they take PVA-15 from McGean-Rohco. Do any of you know if this is actual the same as Vinac. I found another reference that indicates PVA-15 is the generic name for the compound and Vinac was the trade name.

Edited by Malcolmt

I have ordered other things from BHI , this is a substitute for Vinac hence why I was asking if PVA-15 which is what they are distributing was actually identical.

Edited by Malcolmt

I have ordered other things from BHI , this is a substitute for Vinac hence why I was asking if PVA-15 which is what they are distributing was actually identical.

I messaged them. We'll see what they say. :)

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have a small bag that I bought at a Tampa Bay Fossil show, you might contact the Tampa Bay Fossil Club by typing in their name for a contact seller----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

malcomt-

PVA-15 from McGean is indeed the same as what you have been calling vinac. I did the research a few months ago when we ran out at the museum. I bought us a 5 gallon drum, but for smaller quantities, go with Black Hills. And thanks for reminding me.. I have also run out here at home.