Here's My Meager Collection.

Drosera

This might be a little messy as I'm still getting used to the board functions and all. And I'm still in the process of learning names and terminology, so please bear with me patiently. :)

Ok, I just signed up a couple of days ago and wanted to post some of my collection to get other people's take on it. It's nothing spectacular I know, but I still find it interesting anyhow. All sizes I give will be approximate, and perhaps even just plain off. All pics have been enhanced to some degree. The lighting wasn't very good, although I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make for visibility.

post-946-1224895439_thumb.jpg

This is a very nice 6"+ wide shale full of horn corals(?) collected in St-Hubert (1/2 hour south of Montreal Quebec)

post-946-1224895445_thumb.jpg

A 4"+ shale showing a relatively large, for this area, crinoid trace. Collected in St-Hubert

post-946-1224895452_thumb.jpg

Scallops? Bivalves? clustered on a 5"+ shale. Collected in St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895457_thumb.jpg

Smaller shale showing various scallops and things.

post-946-1224895473_thumb.jpg

Various smaller fossils. The Gastropods come from St-Hubert. The clams and Trilobite were given to me by a friend who got them in that National Park in Alberta, Can.

post-946-1224895432_thumb.jpg

2 polished Orthoceras, bought from a local mineral store. Location data not given.

post-946-1224895377_thumb.jpg

Ammonite jewelry given to me by a Texan friend. Actual location data not given.

post-946-1224895383_thumb.jpg

Unaltered Ammonite bought in local "witchcraft" store. Location data not given.

post-946-1224896115_thumb.jpg

4 5/16" Megalodon tooth, recently purchased off Ebay. Location data not given, but I'm going to ask the seller for it. It was in the U.S. though.

post-946-1224895401_thumb.jpg

1'+ long shale studded with various Crinoids, horn corals, and scallops. Collected in St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895408_thumb.jpg

Same shale, closer view.

post-946-1224895425_thumb.jpg

Same shale again, macro image of Crinoid.

post-946-1224895417_thumb.jpg

4" shale, with Crinoid portions and trail for almost the whole length. St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895388_thumb.jpg

More of the same. Between 3-4" at the base. St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895395_thumb.jpg

Unknown rock matrix discovered at same location as other St-hubert finds. 3" long.

post-946-1224895465_thumb.jpg

Close-up view of scallop? on 3" shale. St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895481_thumb.jpg

Macro close-up of star shape "creature". St-Hubert.

post-946-1224895488_thumb.jpg

1"> Trilobite "butt" found along with the other stuff in St-Hubert.

Phew! I think that just about covers it. I have some other rocks to show, but they'll be shown in the ID section, since I don't know what they are, and were given to me by my mother.

Thanks for your interest. :)

Guest solius symbiosus

In pics 3 and 4, what you are calling bivalves are instead brachiopods. An easy way to distinguish between the two...bivalves exhibit symmetry along the hinge line, whereas brachiopod's symmetry is along a line that is tangent to the hinge. Your trilobite cephalon(head) in pic 5 is a calymenid of some kind, and the "star" shaped critter is a crinoid ossicle.

Nice stuff! Can you get a macro of the cephalon?

You are selling your self to short; you have every some every intersting fossils.

we need more Canadains on this forum

Guest N.AL.hunter

Nice collection you got going. As already stated, some Ids need work (like I can't see the horn corals in the first picture), but that is all part of the learning curve. Also, you identify the matrix as shale. Of course I cannot positively Id it from here in Alabama, but it might be limestone. Scratch the back of one specimen of matrix and drip some vinegar on the scratched area. If it bubbles, then the matrix is most likely limestone (even though some shales can bubble too). Just a thought, I could be wrong (and believe it or not, it wouldn't be the first time).

In pics 3 and 4, what you are calling bivalves are instead brachiopods. An easy way to distinguish between the two...bivalves exhibit symmetry along the hinge line, whereas brachiopod's symmetry is along a line that is tangent to the hinge. Your trilobite cephalon(head) in pic 5 is a calymenid of some kind, and the "star" shaped critter is a crinoid ossicle.

Nice stuff! Can you get a macro of the cephalon?

Thanks for the help in ID'ing. I'm going to have to start keeping a list of what I learn. :)

This is the best picture I could take at the moment. I hope it's clear enough for you, but if not, I can retry in daylight.

post-946-1224977582_thumb.jpg

N.AL.hunter Posted Today, 06:45 AM

Nice collection you got going. As already stated, some Ids need work (like I can't see the horn corals in the first picture), but that is all part of the learning curve. Also, you identify the matrix as shale. Of course I cannot positively Id it from here in Alabama, but it might be limestone. Scratch the back of one specimen of matrix and drip some vinegar on the scratched area. If it bubbles, then the matrix is most likely limestone (even though some shales can bubble too). Just a thought, I could be wrong (and believe it or not, it wouldn't be the first time).

I did use CLR on a test piece. It didn't really bubble unless I moved it around with the little paint brush I was using to apply it. After the rinse, it didn't look like there was any damage, except perhaps some very light wearing of the fossils themselves.

I know nothing about Geology, but I can say that at the site where I got these, you can so easily see the clay turning into brittle 'shale'? at first, then progressively harder as you go down. By the time you get to, I don't know, 1-1 1/2 foot, it becomes very hard shale?. I don't know if that helps to ID the rocks or not, but thought I'd bring it up just in case.

I took a closer picture of the rock with the 'horn corals'. Horn coral was the only match I could find on my own before joining here, but again, I've much to learn. ;)

post-946-1224977891_thumb.jpg

I took a closer picture of the rock with the 'horn corals'. Horn coral was the only match I could find on my own before joining here, but again, I've much to learn. ;)

I think I see Bryozoans in that one.

Your St-Hubert "hash" is quite fascinating; lots of stuff to see in it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not positive without a close up, but I think I see crinoid columnar segments, a brachiopod, and a bunch of bryozoa. That piece of matrix would probably look amazing if an air abrasive were used to prep it.