2 Inch Mammal Tooth/tusk

Shellseeker

I have already received 3 or 4 identifications for this one -- obviously all can not be correct. All responses appreciated. SS

post-2220-0-34875900-1357174246_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-30042600-1357174255_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-77865500-1357174265_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-15855800-1357174280_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'd guess it's from a tapir.

Thanks Harry,

As I picked it out of the sieve, I immediately thought "canine". A slew of fossil friends guessed "dire wolf" , bear, marine mammal. Then someone said it looked like a tusk rather than tooth and based on sized must be pig related. 1st guess was peccary, then tapir.

So, before posting I had settled on "tusk" rather than canine (not sure of the difference between the 2).

Nice, clear picture of the Tapir mandible!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice find SS. That's the first one of those I've seen. I'm guessing you have a pretty sweet collection by now.

I'm hoping to get out there these next three weekends. Maybe I'll cross paths with you once again.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

This was the first Tapir Canine that I had seen -- did not recognize it. I have been out during the week -- mostly Mondays and Fridays. I am working on a fossil friend to take me North.. I have never done any hunting above Paynes Creek. But then I have been really fortunate this last year. Lots of Mastodon and Sloth material - I can only hope my luck continues, but sometimes it does seem unfair to my fossil hunting companions. See you on the River, I have a yellow Ocean Kayak. SS

The bottom of the first set of pics looks like photos I have seen of dolphin or porpoise teeth. But I have never found one before.

The bottom of the first set of pics looks like photos I have seen of dolphin or porpoise teeth. But I have never found one before.

I happen to have found just 1 whale tooth..... Here is a photo of it --- It does strongly resemble the lower tooth the 1st set of photos. That is why I initially (and incorrectly) thought "marine mammal"

post-2220-0-86500700-1357268400_thumb.jpg