Greeting From South Florida

6 replies to this topic

#1 mad4wrecks

mad4wrecks

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

I am intersted in fossil hunting anywhere in Florida, but particularly the Peace River & Loxahatchee river and offshore east coast, where I have found mastadon and camel and horse teeth. Any and all advice is welcome for this "newbie."

Tom

#2 ED_1

ED_1

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Awards

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Welcome from Lincolnshire UK

#3 Fossildude19

Fossildude19

MOTM - 06/11 - Veteran Shale Splitter

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts
  • Location:Connecticut, United States. Lower Jurassic, Shuttle Meadow & East Berlin FMs

Awards

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Regards,

Tim

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir  
          ~    ~    ~    ~      ><))))(*>

#4 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,739 posts

Awards

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Welcome aboard :)
We have a strong contingent of members in your neck of the woods; they'll be along soon.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#5 CH4ShotCaller

CH4ShotCaller

Crabber Extraordinaire; March 2014 IPFOTM; June 2014 MOTM

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Awards

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Welcome from Washington!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

#6 Shellseeker

Shellseeker

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Wow!!! -- Peace River is where I now hunt but I used to live 4 miles from Loxahatchee and caught sails 1/4 mile off Hillsboro Inlet. The Peace River is a long car ride from Boca Raton.

Tom, nothing will help you as much as experience and knowledge, if not your own , then borrow others until you get time to develop some.
1) Join a Fossil club -- If you do not do this, you are not serious. One on the east coast if possible but the west coast will do -- especially the 2 fossil clubs closest to the Peace River -- Southwest Fossil Club, and FCOLC. FCOLC has a trip to the Vulcan Mine on Jan 10th, and to the Peace River on Jan 17th -- If you join NOW, you could go on both trips..http://www.fcolc.com The monthly newsletter is worth the yearly dues.
2) Pay the bucks and go on a survey trip to the Peace with Fred Mazza or Mark Renz. Look their names up on the Internet, Pay attention to everything they do, say, take you.
3) Find a fossil partner to share the experience and expenses with knowledge a little ahead of yours.

This is the exact path that I took starting in March 2009. Good hunting and see you on the River. SS

#7 rwhitty2012

rwhitty2012

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Welcome from a fellow Floridian. I have never searched on the Loxahatchee, but we have been out on the Peace River several times. Joining a club is a great way to go. We joined a club and found out about trips and started to go on them. There is a wealth of knowledge from veteran fossilers that will help you to get started. Reading a book or online info can only get you so far, personal experience is the best way to go. Good luck hunting!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users