Freeze/thaw?!? Anyone Know How This Works?

pecopteris

Just got a few mazon creek nodules. Ive heard that the "freeze/thaw" method works the best, but does anyone know any specifics on the process (amounts of time)?

Thanks,

Peco

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

I've had pretty good success with a couple hundred nodules. Some apparently will never open via freeze/thaw, but when they do it is so much better than the "whack and hope" technique.

I use a plastic tray of sufficient depth. Let nodules soak,then pop in freezer. Allow to freeze - solid. Remove and let thaw, some will, it is hoped, open exactly on the plane containing the fossil. Repeat as needed. Important note: use spare 'fridge in garage to avoid domestic conflict!

Have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have also used a microwave to heat up Britton formation nodules after soaking. This can open tough nodules as well.

One thing: BUY A CHEAP MICROWAVE! Sometimes nodules explode. Learn from my mistake!

I've had pretty good success with a couple hundred nodules. Some apparently will never open via freeze/thaw, but when they do it is so much better than the "whack and hope" technique.

I use a plastic tray of sufficient depth. Let nodules soak,then pop in freezer. Allow to freeze - solid. Remove and let thaw, some will, it is hoped, open exactly on the plane containing the fossil. Repeat as needed. Important note: use spare 'fridge in garage to avoid domestic conflict!

Have fun.

All good points! I would suggest a metal tray for faster freezing and durability though. Cracks developed in my first two plastic trays within two months of heavy freeze thawing. Metal cake pans work great!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Pecopteris,

Found a pertinent PDF online.

Linking to it didn't work, but I've attached it here.

how-to-open-nodule.pdf

Hope this is specific enough.

Regards,

EDIT: MORE LINKS.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Instead of allowing for a gradual thaw, I wonder if anyone has tried a rapid thaw by putting the frozen nodule(s) into a pot of boiling water?

Daryl.

Instead of allowing for a gradual thaw, I wonder if anyone has tried a rapid thaw by putting the frozen nodule(s) into a pot of boiling water?

Daryl.

I have, for me it did not produce any positive result. I tried it with "stubborn" nodules which had not opened previously - no luck.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Daryl.

Thermal shock will make gravel; it is the slow wedging of water expanding as it freezes that stands the best chance of desirable results.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thermal shock will make gravel; it is the slow wedging of water expanding as it freezes that stands the best chance of desirable results.

Exactly! Time, not energy is the most important input to splitting nodules cleanly.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Exactly! Time, not energy is the most important input to splitting nodules cleanly.

I just scolded Tracer's cat for recommending the pot of boiling water method. :)

I did try the microwave with disasterous results, and Ive never had any successs with boiling water. its time consuming and often frustrating but freeze thaw is the way to go

I learned to stay away from the microwave the hard way. Many years ago i collected a relatively complete Tully Monster and was able to get it to split using a freeze thaw technique. Unfortunately when the fossil split, the area where the claw was preserved did not open (this is fairly common). I proceeded to freeze thaw the concretion several dozen times using various techniques in an attempt to expose the claw. I finally gave up and decided to place the frozen concretion into the microwave and see if that might work. Within ten seconds the claw exploded into a dozen tiny pieces.

Someday i will try and piece them together. Definately keep the concretions out of the microwave

Well reassembly at least sounds feasible for a dozen pieces. I've got a more difficult jigsaw puzzle on my table right now! I hope you will show us that Tully when it is together.

Archived