Hairy Echinoid

jpbowden

Here is a small fragmented Echinoid with a lot of spines still attached. It comes from local Glen Rose formations and is somewhat interesting to look at.

post-749-1225132717_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225132726_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225132734_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225132750_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225132760_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225132768_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm sure others have found them with spines but to me it's incredible given the fact their so small. In Harker Heights, down the road from Killeen is a shopping center that has some really good exposures. Lots of echinods in perfect condition.

post-749-1225155781_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225155797_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225155811_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225155839_thumb.jpg

post-749-1225155823_thumb.jpg

When you read up on spatangoidea, you discover there are still a bunch of them living now, in great quantities, burrowing in the sand with their hairlike spines. Some of them are pretty exotic looking, too. One of the more interesting things about fossils is that they have on occasion brought my attention to living things which I did not know existed.

JP

I have hunted that site for almost 2 years since they first broke ground, last time a couple weeks ago. I have taken spectacular Heterasters there, with best preservation coming from the gray clay layers as they appear to be unleached. Many echies from this layer are dusted with fine pyrite crystals which have not yet begun to break down. I've also taken several Phymosoma texanum here but my favorite find was a Tetragramma texanum. Some of this stuff will show up in my October report. I believe this to be Walnut formation. Did you climb up to the upper terrace too and work the gray layer up there? That is where I found the Tetragramma.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

No not yet, found an ammonite in the very bottom layer that is complete, it is so delicate that I just left it be. I'm surprise that I have not run into you there. So many good sites here, but I need to get back to Waco soon to put a few things together.

Forgot, there is a layer about a foot and a half from the the bottom of a gray hard rock. This layer has some neat fish fossils and a few crabs mixed in it.

That exposure is a real smorgasbord! How I'd love to spend time sampling it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is a lot of things to look at this site, lots of nice layers. The rivers here offer a lot also, the Lampasas for one is really good.