Photo

Shark Tooth Spots In Atlantic Beach Or Emerald Isle?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BarbaraL

BarbaraL

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hi all, I've moved away from the coast but am going to the beach tomorrow and Sunday...usually I'd go around Wilmington/Carolina/Kure but this time I'm going to Atlantic Beach. Have never been there - are there any particularly good spots to find shark teeth? I feel like there must be. I'm staying on Atlantic Beach but will roam around for a good spot. Thanks!

#2 sixgill pete

sixgill pete

Carolina Fossil Hound ..... MOTM May 2012; IPFOTM August 2013

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Awards

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Bogue Banks, the island that is home to Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Salter Path and Emerald Isle is not known for sharks teeth. Occasionally some are found, but it is not common. The western most end of the Island (the beach faces south) at the Point in Emerald Isle along Bogue inlet would be your best bet. However if you don't have a four wheel drive, it is a long walk. There is very little public beach access other than right in the town of Emerald Isle right in front of the Food Lion shopping Center (Emerald Plantation). On the east end of the Island at Fort Macon State Park, there are fossil oysters along the beach from dredging, and possibly the rare tooth. Remember oysters do not live in the ocean, only bays and rivers and sounds. So when you find oysters on the beach (fossils) the area 5 or so million years ago was part of the sound and very shallow, not a good place for large sharks.

Enjoy the beach this weekend it will be great to be down there. But the fossiling is much better farther south.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

#3 BarbaraL

BarbaraL

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ah, thanks! Shark teeth can wait (though I'm in withdrawal). Of course, you know I'll be looking anyway, but I'm also happy to just stare at the ocean this weekend :)

#4 fossilover

fossilover

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this :blush:

I've lived in the area for over 20 years, and THE best beach I know to find shark's teeth and other fossils is on Onslow Beach. I don't usually find much else aside from shells on any other surrounding beaches. Unfortunately, you must have base access to get to it - or know someone that has base access. They won't give base access to civilians. Now, there are other AREAS in Eastern NC where you can find shark's teeth and other fossils, but no other beaches I know of. Had I known you were going to be in the area I would have been happy to get you on base. Maybe next time :D

#5 BarbaraL

BarbaraL

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Oh thanks! Next time!

I didn't find any, though I found some nice shells. Not to be deterred, I drove over an hour out of my way on the way back to go digging through the pile outside the Aurora Fossil Museum. Found 19 teeth, nothing huge, but some nice ones. Fun little road trip! I went on Sunday so the museum was closed - hope to get there for the festival this year.

#6 fossilover

fossilover

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I made it to the festival a few years back, but didn't stay too long because I was really sick. I'm hoping to get out there this year as well.

#7 sixgill pete

sixgill pete

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Awards

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this :blush:

I've lived in the area for over 20 years, and THE best beach I know to find shark's teeth and other fossils is on Onslow Beach. I don't usually find much else aside from shells on any other surrounding beaches. Unfortunately, you must have base access to get to it - or know someone that has base access. They won't give base access to civilians. Now, there are other AREAS in Eastern NC where you can find shark's teeth and other fossils, but no other beaches I know of. Had I known you were going to be in the area I would have been happy to get you on base. Maybe next time :D

Fossilover, this is not true. Most of the beaches south of Onslow County are well known for fossils. Topsail Island, Carolina beach and others have a wealth and large variety of fossils. But, as with all beaches, the fossils are usually well worn. Onslow beach is one of the better ones. But, since they closed NC Hwy 172, which runs through the base it is off limit to civilians as it is part of Camp LeJeune. Onslow County is full of excellent Eocene through Pliocene hunting grounds, not just Onslow beach.

#8 zachj

zachj

east coast fossiler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Fossilover, this is not true. Most of the beaches south of Onslow County are well known for fossils. Topsail Island, Carolina beach and others have a wealth and large variety of fossils. But, as with all beaches, the fossils are usually well worn. Onslow beach is one of the better ones. But, since they closed NC Hwy 172, which runs through the base it is off limit to civilians as it is part of Camp LeJeune. Onslow County is full of excellent Eocene through Pliocene hunting grounds, not just Onslow beach.

I know ive asked you this alot six gill, but has onslow quarry opened yet?

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

#9 sixgill pete

sixgill pete

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Awards

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

No Zach, it still is not open.

#10 zachj

zachj

east coast fossiler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

No Zach, it still is not open.

darn.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users