Chainsaws?

KansasFossilHunter

I've heard of people using chainsaws to free large block of rock without disturbing the fossils within too much. Anyone here use a chainsaw? Recommendations? Thoughts?

Recovery of a Ginsu shark

post-6661-0-47845400-1358195834_thumb.jpg

-Kris

I have used chain saws to remove kansas Niobrara material.

It's a great way to do two things: 1. Remove fossils, 2. Ruin chainsaws.

I do use a battery powered (rechargable) circular saw and can't seem to hurt it, however.

Actually, I have seen a 18" plunge saw (chain) that could cut 1.5" steel rebar for $1400. I want it so bad I can taste it, but $1400 is a LOT of money!

I have considered trying to rent a plunge saw. It could be the most economic idea.

Edited by Boneman007

Sounds like a way to get seriously injured.

If you don't use the machinery properly or without safety gear, yes ;)

I have used chain saws to remove kansas Niobrara material.

It's a great way to do two things: 1. Remove fossils, 2. Ruin chainsaws.

I do use a battery powered (rechargable) circular saw and can't seem to hurt it, however.

Actually, I have seen a 18" plunge saw (chain) that could cut 1.5" steel rebar for $1400. I want it so bad I can taste it, but $1400 is a LOT of money!

I have considered trying to rent a plunge saw. It could be the most economic idea.

Hey Boneman, what kind of rechargeable saw do you have? I have yet to aee a rechargeable rock saw that would work well. How long does the charge last and what is the blade size? Thanks !

I've heard of people using chainsaws to free large block of rock without disturbing the fossils within too much. Anyone here use a chainsaw? Recommendations? Thoughts?

Recovery of a Ginsu shark

post-6661-0-47845400-1358195834_thumb.jpg

-Kris

Kris,

Unless you have to cut deeper than 5 inches, circular saw is what 95% of fossil collecting saw owners use. There was someone on the forum who uses a chain saw, which would allow you to cut up to a foot deep or so, i dont remember who it was though, someone from NY i think....

Nothing deeper than that, five is probably deep enough. I've seen them used to recover green river fish too...

I use a battery operated riobi angle grinder with a 4 1/2 inch diamond blade. I have 2 rechargeable batteries that last 6 minutes each at full usage on the limestone that has my eurypterids in it. That is sufficient to remove one eurypterid on a plate about 10" * 10" with a little battery left over. Because of how the dolomite plates you only need to cut about 1 to 1 1/2 inches into the matrix to have a reasonable chance to split it out. I am genrerally somewhat fortunate because a lot of the individuals I collect with have gas saws so I don't need to revert to the angle grinder all that often. Cost ...... I got a drill, impact driver , two batteries, charger and angle grinder for $149 about a year ago at Home depot. Was on sale super cheap. The blade was about $25.00 . Works fine as long as you are not expecting too much. Definately has allowed me to take home some specimens that would have been left in the quarry floor otherwise.

Also using eye protection and gloves I feel quite safe using it.

Edited by Malcolmt

I have had the opportunity to use a gas saw... great if you can afford it. I have a cordless battery run saw that I am totally disappointed with. It is also a Riobi, but I would be blessed to get 6 minutes out of it.

Mine is one of the Riobi +One series and is an angle grinder not a saw. The diamond blade is reasonably thin.

If you don't use the machinery properly or without safety gear, yes ;)

post-7497-0-83844800-1358210395_thumb.jpg

This IS not using the machinery properly and not using the proper safety gear! No chaps, not a proper head and face shield, sitting down with the saw like that, the list could go on and on. This is a good way to lose a limb, or a life.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I looked into "borrowing" a diamond chain saw to cut a T rex in half... there are two gravestone makers here in town. ONe laughed at me, the other was more than willing to let us borrow his. This may be a way to go.

post-7497-0-83844800-1358210395_thumb.jpg

This IS not using the machinery properly and not using the proper safety gear! No chaps, not a proper head and face shield, sitting down with the saw like that, the list could go on and on. This is a good way to lose a limb, or a life.

That's not me or anybody I know, but I see your point...

I looked into "borrowing" a diamond chain saw to cut a T rex in half... there are two gravestone makers here in town. ONe laughed at me, the other was more than willing to let us borrow his. This may be a way to go.

I think (for me) this is probably the best way to go. I don't find anything that requires a saw very often. This would be cheaper and more economical...

What about one of the little oscillating saws. I was thinking about taking one of these with some different blades on my next trip.

http://www.google.com/search?q=oscillating+saw&tbm=isch&hl=en&gbv=2&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i5l6.453.5969.0.6187.23.18.2.3.3.0.156.1952.5j12.17.0...0.0...1ac.1.jXGnM8ayANM&nfpr=&spell=1

That would help with smaller finds but I'm talking big jacket finds and such, where you might need a full-blown saw.

How long before Harbor Freight has light-sabers?

Aye, that's the ticket!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How long before Harbor Freight has light-sabers?

Aye, that's the ticket!

Lol, how huch would THAT cost?

Only 1,100 Credits!

Or, wait until the iPhone app is available.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

About $3.99. I believe that is the average cost of everything at Harbor Freight. :D

I've got a lot of trim work building up because I haven't found the right saw to do it.

I don't know if the 7" would handle some of the larger pieces i have, I've seen 10" diamond blades too that would be great, I just don't know what saw to get to mount them on.. It would need to be something handheld. The chainsaw looks like a dream....

Edited by Wrangellian

Concrete chainsaws are out there if one wants to dish out the $1600 they start at. Since I mostly collect small things in hard limestone I recently invested in one of these:

post-3840-0-13694600-1358431571_thumb.jpg

Far from cheap, but when I think of all the fossils I could have collected and then those I tried to collect and ended up breaking them/losing parts I feel it was was worth the cost. My lazy side also will like it this spring when I don't have to swing a hammer for half an hour trying to get a trilobite out of the floor of a quarry.