Chainsaws?

KansasFossilHunter

Concrete chainsaws are out there if one wants to dish out the $1600 they start at. Since I mostly collect small things in hard limestone I recently invested in one of these:

post-3840-0-13694600-1358431571_thumb.jpg

Far from cheap, but when I think of all the fossils I could have collected and then those I tried to collect and ended up breaking them/losing parts I feel it was was worth the cost. My lazy side also will like it this spring when I don't have to swing a hammer for half an hour trying to get a trilobite out of the floor of a quarry.

NICE SAW!

Look at the 18" plunge (chain) saws. Lifetime guaranteed diamond blade, capable of cutting 1.5 inch rebar. Around $1400.

By the way, just a note on safety:

When I use a chain saw on matrix, I use a chain saw safety suit, as well as hearing and facial protection.

Edited by Boneman007

Concrete chainsaws are out there if one wants to dish out the $1600 they start at. Since I mostly collect small things in hard limestone I recently invested in one of these:

Far from cheap, but when I think of all the fossils I could have collected and then those I tried to collect and ended up breaking them/losing parts I feel it was was worth the cost. My lazy side also will like it this spring when I don't have to swing a hammer for half an hour trying to get a trilobite out of the floor of a quarry.

Wow! When I need something out of a Volkswagon-size boulder, I'll give you a yell. Nice saw!

I have one (quite safe) but we are not allowed to use one on the beaches in the UK... That means you have to use a hammer and chisel and risk damaging the specimen... although its the first tool used by the experts to retrieve fossils when they have to...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

My Ph.D. adviser does most excavations with a large stihl chainsaw with a diamond dust chain, perhaps with a 24" "blade". If used properly, it can be very useful for soft rock - loosely consolidated marine sediments, for example. He has used chainsaws for about 40 or so years now (he started off in forestry before his Ph.D.), and started using them for fieldwork in soft sediments to excavate fossil cetaceans about 10-15 years ago. He estimates that it cuts excavation time and crews in half.

Ewan is keen to use whatever technology possible to reduce time spent digging with hand tools. He also makes use of a masonry saw in the field for harder rocks, and I've gotten a little acquainted with what is arguably the most powerful and disagreeable tool in his arsenal, a pionjar rock drill (think jackhammer with a rotating bit). Here's some pictures of myself and two labmates struggling with the pionjar on the south island coast: http://coastalpaleo.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/new-zealand-field-work-paleocene-of.html

Hey Kansas,

I was looking into getting a petrol stone chainsaw in the UK for extracting some starfish blocks. This is what I found http://www.icschainsaws.co.uk/ICS-695GC-Chainsaw.php only problem is it needs a pressured water supply, way too expensive for me at the moment though. Found this one second hand http://www.icschainsaws.co.uk/ICS-695GC-Chainsaw.php

Progress of my fossil cleaning can be found on my Instagram feed

http://instagram.com/gbfossils

YouTube for fossil collecting and prep videos 

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBFossils

A while ago I bought for a couple hundred (new) a chop-saw type thing that used a masonry blade. I had high hopes, but believe it or not the blade just did not cut, it just heated up and ended up producing lava - even with a garden hose turned on it! I figure I'm going to need something like that hand-held saw with a diamond blade or with some other type of blade that will actually cut thru shale and sandstone without heating up and preferably without the need for water, as my shale can crumble on exposure to water after being dry for some time. $1400 or $1600 is a bit much for me though...

Eric, You should be able to get a diamond blade that will fit your chop-saw. The ones with the channels/ cuts in them do not need water but they will get your fossil very hot if you cut continuously.