Craig Little

I have two teeth shown below. The long skinny ones I have been told are whale teeth and the other I was told is a porpoise tooth. I found images in a book showing it may be a wolf sized dog, a seal or or possible a whale shark. Anyone have any opinions? I have a few of both in a display shot in the last image. Thanks in advanced for the input!

post-10854-0-05466000-1358308327_thumb.jpg

post-10854-0-53854600-1358308336_thumb.jpg

post-10854-0-15967500-1358308345_thumb.jpg

post-10854-0-20466200-1358308353_thumb.jpg

The long skinny ones (i.e. first photo) are physteroid sperm whale teeth - but occur both in some physeterids (Orycterocetus) as well as dwarf sperm whales (Kogiinae).

Most of the other teeth are not diagnostic past Odontoceti (toothed cetaceans). Bobby

Thanks for the identification. These answeres are what I have believed for years until I started looking in gthe Neophytes Guide and started doubting it.

Cool collection! The vertebrae may be fish vertebrae. The long piece laying horizontal may be a turtle neural scute. It is hard to tell from looking at one side. Is it flat on the back with like a ridge on the part shown?

These are some turtle neural scutes I've found.

post-10693-0-54097900-1356496747_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

GREAT collection of teeth. I'm not sure if you know it or not, but that bottom right tooth is a cow shark symphyseal... it's a pretty rare tooth. I have over 300,000 shark teeth and only 3 of those... (disclaimer: most of the places I hunt don't have cow sharks, but still...).

The root looks broken off, but the blade is nicely preserved...

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! I do know that it is a rate cow shark and only have one of them. I don't find them often but picked up 2 today. Not symphyseals. Found some great Mako's and a decent Meg.