Favosites - Not Sure ? Can Someone Help Me Identify? Thx

chapmancb

It looks like Favosites to me, especially in the 8th picture. The pictures with the ring things also looks like the bottom of Favosites. Nice finds!

• I found this Informative 1

I like crinoids......

Pics 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 look like Favosites to me.

And welcome to the forum. :)

Context is critical.

I agree with Heliolites as an option for Pic 13.

And I have doubts whether Pic 10 shows a coral at all. Maybe there are some recent borings (if it was found in water) or signs of chemical dissolution/weathering on the surface of the stone?

araucaria1959

Not sure that we have any Favosites here, perhaps pictures 7, 8, and the last one, but they are sure belong to the Tabulata order. Its hard to see the exact shape of the corallites.

Picture 6 looks reminds me of a Rugosa coral but it is incomplete and need more magnification to be sure.

Pedro Bento, M.Sci.

Correction: The last picture is Heliolites. Its not a Favosite for sure, look at the arrangement of the corallites.

Pedro Bento, M.Sci.

Correction: The last picture is Heliolites. Its not a Favosite for sure, look at the arrangement of the corallites.

Hmmm.... I see that now with #11 and #13, at least. When I saw the bumps, I had this specimen in mind:

post-6808-0-11070200-1358462925_thumb.jpg

As a matter of fact, I believe I have a Heliolites (or something similar) buried in my collection somewhere.

I would still be inclined to call #7, 8, 9, and 12 Favosites. Would there be other tabulate corals with a similar polygonal arrangement of corallites?

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Haha I guess I need to change some lables! I definitely have some Heliolites I had labled as Favosites. Good to know!

I like crinoids......