Trex Noses Out Dinosaur Competition

Guest Nicholas

"Archaeopteryx, the earliest known bird with fossils dating to 150 million years ago, turned out to have a good sense of smell in line with that of the small meat-eating dinosaurs from which paleontologists believe birds evolved, they said.

Interesting, since (with a few exceptions) today's birds have a sense of smell that borders on poor to none.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
"Archaeopteryx, the earliest known bird with fossils dating to 150 million years ago, turned out to have a good sense of smell in line with that of the small meat-eating dinosaurs from which paleontologists believe birds evolved, they said.

Interesting, since (with a few exceptions) today's birds have a sense of smell that borders on poor to none.

I always wondered something Auspex, does a bald Eagle have much nose power? They used to show up when we were smelting I wondered if they smelled the fish.

I always wondered something Auspex, does a bald Eagle have much nose power? They used to show up when we were smelting I wondered if they smelled the fish.

It is assumed not-so-much, since their olfactory lobe is not particularly well developed. They are remarkable site hunters, though; I've had them respond to a lure from over two miles away!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
It is assumed not-so-much, since their olfactory lobe is not particularly well developed. They are remarkable site hunters, though; I've had them respond to a lure from over two miles away!

Thanks for the clarification, I have an interest in local birds so I'll pop up with random questions here and there. :P

Interesting...i do have one comment though..they are talking about the absolute size of the olfactory bulbs...when you are comparing same parts from different animals especially parts of the brain, you should look at the relative size (brain mass/body mass) to see who is smarter or has more keen senses..it comes with no suprise that a bigger animal (T-ReX) will have bigger brain parts, but it doesn't mean he is necessarily smarter or has keener senses. I just hope they really looked into relative sizes and not absolute sizes like they say in the article...

Archived