Collection Of Knowns & Unknowns

Shellseeker

What a gorgeous day yesterday. I was with friends: the water is clear, not a cloud in the sky, sun is shining, the birds are singing, even a gator or two. Most of the time, I realize how truly fortunate I am to live so close to pursue this hobby.

I was digging in a jumble of gravel for a mix of Miocene-Pleistocene treasure and my luck was holding. Any day with a Sloth tooth is an outstanding day on the river. So a few knowns: Sloth Tooth, a perfect ectocuneiform (an equus tarsal, but Harry will confirm), and a Petrous portion of a temporal bone - horse again , I think).

The petrous portion of the temporal bone or pyramid is pyramidal and is wedged in at the base of the skull between the sphenoid and occipital bones -- wikipedia
post-2220-0-64965300-1358442037_thumb.jpg

But what of the unknowns? a tooth,

post-2220-0-92086400-1358442183_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-07857100-1358442198_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-56374400-1358442217_thumb.jpg

and a couple of distal toe bones? ID Help needed.

post-2220-0-66309400-1358442284_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-33023900-1358442302_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-22168500-1358442420_thumb.jpg

Toe or maybe not --

post-2220-0-53861400-1358442484_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-26596400-1358442499_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-43879300-1358442517_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Got back to searching the internet and found this link: http://www.paleodiscoveries.com/Tapir.html

The tooth is clearly a Tapir Incisor, and the first one that my group of fossil hunters has found. There are only 2 in each jaw and thus rarer than molars.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Tapir incisor, giant tortoise claw core, and partial giant tortoise spur.

Well now that is a cool list! Great finds!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Got back to searching the internet and found this link: http://www.paleodisc....com/Tapir.html

The tooth is clearly a Tapir Incisor, and the first one that my group of fossil hunters has found. There are only 2 in each jaw and thus rarer than molars.

Not sure what you mean by tapirs only having two incisors in each jaw, but a tapir has six lower incisors.

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

Nate, thanks for the insights --- I was trying to guess the size of the animal with these toe bones and then search the net for that animal name "fossil distal". Not sure I would have been successful on "giant tortoise" -- I have been finding a number of large chunks of shell so this makes sense. I have a friend who collect these and will be pleased.

When I find a large piece of turtle/tortoise shell in a Florida river, should I be thinking land tortoise or sea turtle as more likely?

On the Magnum, I have found magnums previously. I thought they has a unique shape, but then I bumped into Ectocuneiforms, which to me are so similar to be difficult to distinguish. Is there an easy way to distinguish or a couple of photos that clearly show the differences? Many photos of the ankle show the "edges' rather than faces of the bones?

Once again , thanks for the IDs. SS

EDIT -- While searching for Tapir Incisors, must have mis-interperted a statement on one of the internet photos on how many incisors the Tapir has ---

Edited by Shellseeker