200 Million Year Old Fossils Discovered In St. George

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Oct. 29, 2008) — The importance of a new archeological site in St George, Utah, U.S. was recently highlighted by Andrew Milner, Paleontologist, City of St. George, Jim Kirkland, State Paleontologist and Sidney Ash, Paleo-botanists. The site is significant because it is the only early Jurassic land flora known in the western United States. It provides evidence that a variety of land plants were present in the area about 200 million years ago.

Article 1

Article 2...

Article 3

Guest N.AL.hunter

Gosh Darn It! I've been there and did not know or even search!! Also, one of the articles makes the mistake that turns my stomach calling it an important "Archeological" site. Hate that, but thanks for the articles, nice story, and it actually had some pics of the fossils!!

weird that this is in the news now. i was digging that same site with jim kirkland and andrew milner about 5 years ago looking at the same types of conifer material. i think i may even have some of it in a box somewhere. the initial discovery of the plants was made when they started to dig the foundations for fossil ridge elementary school, which is located just across the street from the johnsons farm track site. if anyone want to dig that stuff just go across the street to the state owned land at teh base of the basalt cliffs that they are not working. you can collect it legally there. very rough materail .you can also find nodules of mirocrystaline limestone that have scattered fish parts. there are also some noce stomatolites not too far away.

brock

Good level of cooperation among the stake holders; I wish it were always thus...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas
weird that this is in the news now. i was digging that same site with jim kirkland and andrew milner about 5 years ago looking at the same types of conifer material. i think i may even have some of it in a box somewhere. the initial discovery of the plants was made when they started to dig the foundations for fossil ridge elementary school, which is located just across the street from the johnsons farm track site. if anyone want to dig that stuff just go across the street to the state owned land at teh base of the basalt cliffs that they are not working. you can collect it legally there. very rough materail .you can also find nodules of mirocrystaline limestone that have scattered fish parts. there are also some noce stomatolites not too far away.

brock

Do you think bringing the site into the news is a ploy for more funding?

maybe, or it could be that they just found a more reliable way to dig them, backhoe. before we were working by hand.

Brock