Id Needed For Some Oklahoma Concretion Fossils

PetrolPete

Well, one of the pear shaped concretions partially popped today, and it looks a lot like the back of a fish head. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Wow! You keep finding stuff like that down there Pete, and you may never come back up here!!

(But if you do bring a few concretions)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Wow! You keep finding stuff like that down there Pete, and you may never come back up here!!

(But if you do bring a few concretions)

Ramo

I had actually been planning a trip that would take me up that way again for spring break, unfortunately I don't know how much of that trip is going to happen now because the friends I was going to travel with were forced to bail by their girlfriends, but we'll see, I might still make it to Kansas City and then out your way, I'll let you know what happens. And if it does work out, I'll certainly bring up some concretions.

I managed to repair the mystery bone material a little more:

post-8113-0-00795300-1361509740_thumb.jpg

Here is the possible fish head

post-8113-0-81896000-1361509750_thumb.jpg

Found what looks like a tooth, it was kind of a rough break and I had to do a lot of repairs but here it is:

post-8113-0-53848600-1361509759_thumb.jpg

what do you all think?

Yes, looks like fish head material to me too.. Very, very cool!

One of my all time favorite fossils to find! CONGRATULATIONS!

I am an email contact if you would like to confirm..

Welcome to the forum!

I just got the fossils looked at by some paleontologists at the Noble Museum in Norman, Oklahoma, and while many of the concretions couldn't be identified, they said the jaw was from a microsaur and the large bones were the jaw of a labyrinthodont. Since they only know of four pennsylvanian locations that had land vertebrate in Oklahoma, and the people I was talking to had never even heard of lake Oolagah, I gave them my contact information and I was going to show them the site at some point.

Reptiles.... Hmmm..... Could you show the images again with the names? I'd like to compare them with my Muncie Creek stuff. :)

Context is critical.

Actually, they had said the labyrinthodonts were amphibians, but they said they were certain that this one:

post-8113-0-57770700-1361765231_thumb.jpg

was a jaw

and this one:

post-8113-0-16837100-1361765289_thumb.jpg

was probably a jaw that most of the bone had worn away on.

This was the one they said was a microsaur jaw:

post-8113-0-78440300-1361765254_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

A new terrestrial location! Exciting! The nodules you've posted have all been faunal I think. Have you found any plant material in your nodules yet? I'd love to see what types of flora you've found at that site.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I have several nodules that look like they possibly contain plant material, but no one at the museum could say for sure on them. There is petrified wood, stigmaria and calamities at this location, but I think it is from a different formation, and that formation is known to have nodules with leaves inside in that same area.

Heres a crushed flat shark eggcase I prepped last week or so...so the alternate direction spirals on this would be effectively underneath on yours... it would look similar to yours 3D....

post-1630-0-49140600-1361784369_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Heres a crushed flat shark eggcase I prepped last week or so...so the alternate direction spirals on this would be effectively underneath on yours... it would look similar to yours 3D....

attachicon.gif011 (640x638).jpg

First off, i have to say, thats a really great eggcase. But, that's a really interesting idea though. It'd be amazing if that is what it is because that lamination is on the underside of the large jaw, right next to the teeth, I'll have to look at it more closely.

Pete... I didnt realise from the post it was attached to the jaw... My mistake...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Pete... I didnt realise from the post it was attached to the jaw... My mistake...

Sorry, that's my fault. I should have labeled the pictures better.

PetrolPete, as for your photos where you ask "Coral?", no, I believe this is a chaetetid sponge. I find examples from the Marmaton Group that look very similar to that in southeast Kansas. Very cool. Do you ever find any silicified specimens? I'm an archaeologist, and I'm trying to write up an article on prehistoric use of silicified chaetetids for making stone tools. And I'm going to have to start cracking open some phosphate nodules!!!!

PetrolPete, as for your photos where you ask "Coral?", no, I believe this is a chaetetid sponge. I find examples from the Marmaton Group that look very similar to that in southeast Kansas. Very cool. Do you ever find any silicified specimens? I'm an archaeologist, and I'm trying to write up an article on prehistoric use of silicified chaetetids for making stone tools. And I'm going to have to start cracking open some phosphate nodules!!!!

Thanks for the ID. Yes I do occasionally come across silicified chaetetids at this location. That's really cool how you're looking at them used as tools.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ended up going back to the location where I found what was ID'd as a labyrinthodont jaw and recovered more pieces... including a tooth. And it turns out that the 'odd lamination' is part of a tooth and the 'possible shark head spine' is the impression of a tooth and the 'teeth' are actually serrations on a larger tooth, and thanks to missourian's suggestion of an edestus tooth, I was able to confirm with one of my professors that it was an edestus tooth and jaw!

here's the tooth:

post-8113-0-01145700-1362807142_thumb.jpg

Whoa! Happy dance!

Any more where that came from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are some better pictures:

The repaired jaw and associated other pieces:

post-8113-0-18106100-1362976308_thumb.jpg

The tooth front and back:

post-8113-0-18160600-1362976079_thumb.jpg

post-8113-0-49859700-1362976540_thumb.jpg

One side of the broken tooth on the jaw:

post-8113-0-60822000-1362976327_thumb.jpg

Another partial tooth on an associated piece:

post-8113-0-01394300-1362976400_thumb.jpg