Id Needed For Some Oklahoma Concretion Fossils

PetrolPete

Pete... Great find....Its very unusual material... Certainly somewhere you can continue to collect and aquire a representation from there...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just an update. I've been talking with a paleontologist at the Sam Noble Museum, and while he now thinks that the site isn't terrestrial, it does contain a large amount of shark material and he still wants to write a paper on it. So, myself and Mick69 (who originally found the site) will be meeting with him in a couple weeks to get some ID's and help him with his paper.

He did already ID some of the concretions. All of the striated concretions, including the comet shaped one, he ID'd as Listracanthus hystrix shark dermal denticles.

Thanks again

Also here is a new concretion that appears to be bone. Any ideas?

post-0-0-35602500-1364430818_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-89749800-1364430822_thumb.jpg

I also found what appears to be lawrencia, but I'm not sure and it's hard to get pictures of it.

Hey Pete,

Exciting news!

In the fossil you just posted, is there a groove that runs almost the entire length? I

can't tell.. It does look like bone to me..

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Pete,

Exciting news!

In the fossil you just posted, is there a groove that runs almost the entire length? I

can't tell.. It does look like bone to me..

No groove that I can clearly see, it's kinda hard to tell though. What would the groove mean and where would it have been so I can check again?

No groove that I can clearly see, it's kinda hard to tell though. What would the groove mean and where would it have been so I can check again?

It would be almost in the center in your first image. I thought it might be a part of the shoulder girdle (cleithrum) of a fish but

the more I look I think the shape is off for that..

If you don't get an ID on here maybe it's time to email some pics off.. Is there anyway you could take pics in natural light?

It might help..

Welcome to the forum!

It would be almost in the center in your first image. I thought it might be a part of the shoulder girdle (cleithrum) of a fish but

the more I look I think the shape is off for that..

If you don't get an ID on here maybe it's time to email some pics off.. Is there anyway you could take pics in natural light?

It might help..

Ya, I don't see the grove there either, just a couple small fractures from coming out of the concretion, so it still probably isn't the shoulder bone. I'll still be meeting with the paleontologist so he can get a good look at it then too. Sorry about the lighting issue, I would use natural light be the winters here tend to be gray and cloudy most of the time without much good light. I realized what the problem was with the light though, I was using a white sheet for a background and my phone had been compensating for the glare off the paper by darkening the image. I'll try and get a better picture when I can.

Thanks again

I realized what the problem was with the light though, I was using a white sheet for a background and my phone had been compensating for the glare off the paper by darkening the image. I'll try and get a better picture when I can.

Try placing the nodule on some of Steve's black shale. That will trick the phone. :) With my last conodont pic, I had to place bits of white paper on the shale around it to get a decent balance.

Context is critical.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to review all of this again when I got home, because my memory sucks. I had a great time hunting with you again. Too bad we haven't gotten together more. I will talk to the land owner of that ravine to see if we can set something up before you leave. Otherwise, I might just have to discover it alone. ;)

Here is another mystery. Possibly some type of brach?

post-8113-0-99432400-1366775295_thumb.jpg

post-8113-0-02100600-1366775300_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any idea?

thanks again

You will get some that are organic remains but will be impossible to ID as they are just preserved as 'blobs'....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Here is another mystery. Possibly some type of brach?

attachicon.gifIMG_1306.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1305.JPG

Anyone have any idea?

I've found a few of those in the Muncie Creek Shale. Here is one in some fish regurgitation. It is in the nodule on the right:

post-6808-0-56395100-1366790380_thumb.jpg

I figure it's part of some fish.

Context is critical.

You will get some that are organic remains but will be impossible to ID as they are just preserved as 'blobs'....

ya... unfortunately that appears to be the vast majority of them, but this one seemed to have enough detail to try an ID

I've found a few of those in the Muncie Creek Shale. Here is one in some fish regurgitation. It is in the nodule on the right:

attachicon.gif15-Muncie-coprolites.jpg

I figure it's part of some fish.

I've found some like that, but this one isn't like it. Although it

doesn't look like it, it is actually a single piece. On the lower

picture, there is an outer 'shell' of some sort that fits on the piece in the top

pic, where the piece in the top pic is a large ridge. I know it's very hard to tell, but on the outside of the 'shell'

there is some markings similar, but not exactly, like the pattern on

this lingula http://www.bluesinheaven.com/img/paleo/Hwy51/Lingula.jpg. There is also a small ridge running along the middle, near the pointed end. It is most visible on the top picture.

thanks again

Are you certain it's shell material around it?

I am just throwing this out there but it sure reminds me of a fish shoulder girdle..

See what you think. The opposite side of mine (not pictured) would have the indented groove ..

post-13-0-65044800-1366820050_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Are you certain it's shell material around it?

I am just throwing this out there but it sure reminds me of a fish shoulder girdle..

See what you think. The opposite side of mine (not pictured) would have the indented groove ..

attachicon.gif101_4331-001.JPG

No, I'm not sure it is shell. It is just a thin layer of something separating the patterned side from the ridge.

It could be, it's hard to tell, There is no evidence of how far mine might or might not continue into the rock. The way a lot of these oxidize makes it difficult to tell

Here is a close up of the pattern:

post-8113-0-54967600-1366827103_thumb.jpg

And of the ridge:

post-8113-0-09512600-1366827115_thumb.jpg

and here is another odd one. It is also badly oxidized, so it's hard to make out any details, but it has that fairly distinct series of ridges running along one side

post-8113-0-53724800-1366827374_thumb.jpg

post-8113-0-36596100-1366827385_thumb.jpg

The closeup you posted looks like the pattern that I see on so much

of my fish material..

I have another one that looks almost dead-on to yours. Someone borrowed my camera but

I will get it back later today and post what I am talking about..

Welcome to the forum!

Ok, Pete

Here is another one to compare with yours..post-13-0-28491400-1366837643_thumb.jpg

Note the groove.. I have found quite a few of these.

post-13-0-20070600-1366837673_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-21353700-1366837701_thumb.jpg

The pattern on the last shot is fish ornamentation.. Looks the same as yours to me.

See what you think..

Welcome to the forum!

I frequently find similar fingerprint-looking stuff in Muncie Creek nodules. I don't have an ID yet.

post-6808-0-09803700-1358848969_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-22031800-1358849340_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-78391800-1358849333_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-29622800-1358849019_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-32291600-1358849327_thumb.jpg

So perhaps some critter had an appetite for Lingula?

Context is critical.

Ok, Pete

Here is another one to compare with yours..attachicon.gif101_4590.JPG

Note the groove.. I have found quite a few of these.

attachicon.gif101_4604-001.JPG

attachicon.gif101_4606-001.JPG

The pattern on the last shot is fish ornamentation.. Looks the same as yours to me.

See what you think..

Ya, that looks the same to me, yours just looks better preserved

I frequently find similar fingerprint-looking stuff in Muncie Creek nodules. I don't have an ID yet.

So perhaps some critter had an appetite for Lingula?

Hmm.. Interesting idea. I don't know.

...So perhaps some critter had an appetite for Lingula?

I don't know about then, but today, Linguilas are toxic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't know about then, but today, Linguilas are toxic.

Well, that would explain why the stuff was thrown up. :)

Context is critical.

Archived