Id Needed For Some Oklahoma Concretion Fossils

PetrolPete

other wash ups:

ammonid or nautaloids in concretions:

goniatite out of concretion:

post-8113-0-47868500-1359089274_thumb.jpg

a scale maybe?:

post-8113-0-80430400-1359089265_thumb.jpg

(everything came from the same location)

but ya, on the enamel subject, I working on cleaning it, but I have to be very gentle because of how many of the concretions tend to crumble

post-8113-0-48624100-1359089290_thumb.jpg

Ran back up to the location earlier today to get more concretions, here are a few pictures of the beaches of concretions:

post-8113-0-21241300-1359167347_thumb.jpg

post-8113-0-23304900-1359167338_thumb.jpg

Oh come on! Here we battle, hills, ticks, poison ivy, ticks, heat, four wheelers, and ticks. When we get to the nodules most of them are buried under several inches of leaves.

Let me guess they split like plastic easter eggs too don't they ... grrr :P

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Ran back up to the location earlier today to get more concretions, here are a few pictures of the beaches of concretions:

My goodness. If I stumbled upon a site like that with our Muncie Creek nodules, I'd probably pass out with excitement.

Context is critical.

Interesting material

Looks like a fun place to collect

Absolutely! It's really not that bad collecting here in Indiana but your site looks like a lot of fun. I see a number of nodules in your pictures that would be in my freezer post haste. :)

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Oh come on! Here we battle, hills, ticks, poison ivy, ticks, heat, four wheelers, and ticks. When we get to the nodules most of them are buried under several inches of leaves.

Let me guess they split like plastic easter eggs too don't they ... grrr :P

Here we still have ticks, (I got three my first time there, even after using bug spray), poison ivy, and heat. We also have snakes, mosquitoes and poisonous spiders. The only reason it looks so barren is because its winter, usually there is a lot more foliage.

Some split quickly, some are already split, but still others I've been trying to split since August, so it's a mixed bag. There is also a low percentage of them having anything inside, even lower if you ignore the orbi's

The good news is you can sometimes find these eroding out of the concretions:

post-8113-0-32061400-1359230375_thumb.jpg

But some of the ones that crack out in the field can end up damaged and hard to ID like this:

post-8113-0-07044900-1359230386_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, I think fossiladdicts question is the right one. If that yellow stuff is enamel then you know for sure it's a jaw. If not it could be something else. I was thinking more of the edge of the carapace not the spine.

I managed to clean up the jaw a little more, and it is beginning to look like the 'teeth' are a different mineral than the 'jaw bone', but it is still hard to tell. The 'teeth' are beginning to look more round now though.

:popcorn:

-- Terry Pratchett

It's really difficult to tell in the picture, but what I've been noticing is that as i brush it clean the 'teeth' have begun to shine whereas the 'bone' has stayed the same sheen. As for the yellow 'enamel' before, I don't know what happened, it may have been a trick of the light or it may have rubbed off, i don't know, but it isn't there any more.

post-8113-0-66065900-1359241367_thumb.jpg

So many nodules where you hunt.. :envy: I see many that I would be picking up

for sure.. Can't wait to see more when they open.. Keep em coming! :)

Welcome to the forum!

If I was to get a picture in cross section, would it help with the ID? When it first cracked open, it fractured on the wider 'bone' side and I put it back together with a solution of elmers glue and water so I should be able to let it sit in some water and open it back up, it just might be a little risky

Hi Pete,

Do you have tools for prepping it out (airscibes and such), or do you know someone who does? Preping small nodule fossil can be tricky. I'm learning that the hard way. Still It looks like there is more in the nodule and I can't think of another way to get it out. I use dilute Elmer's too by the way, it works great on the siderite nodules I find here.

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Pete,

Do you have tools for prepping it out (airscibes and such), or do you know someone who does? Preping small nodule fossil can be tricky. I'm learning that the hard way. Still It looks like there is more in the nodule and I can't think of another way to get it out. I use dilute Elmer's too by the way, it works great on the siderite nodules I find here.

I have a few tools, a rotary tool with grinding and cutting attachments, picks, files, an engraver and I got most of what I need for an air abrasive set up for christmas, all I need is a fine mesh (for sieving abrasives) , a finer point attachment for the airbrush and a dust collection system for the blast cabinet. What tools would you recommend for this?

Hi Pete,

I've only started trying to prep out nodules in the past three weeks so I am definitely in the early learning stages ... there have been many casualties. :unsure: I wouldn't recommend starting with the nodule you've posted above, that's for sure.

Right now I'm using dental picks, a Dremel, and an air abrasive set up set up but I'm not really happy with the results. I'll be purchasing a Micro-Jack from Paleo Tools later this month and I think that will work much better for the small fossils we find in nodules. You might try sending a PM to forum member Crinus. He has a lot of experience with prepwork and maybe could give you some ideas. Forum member RCfossils may also be able to recommend a good preparator to send it to if you want to go that route. Hope this helps!

-- Terry Pratchett

I also learned a very valuable lesson yesterday, If you think the concretion might have a goniatite in it, freeze thaw probably isn't the best option, as it will probably fracture along suture lines and crumble in some other places

I also learned a very valuable lesson yesterday, If you think the concretion might have a goniatite in it, freeze thaw probably isn't the best option, as it will probably fracture along suture lines and crumble in some other places

That's unfortunate. Can they be glued back together?

Context is critical.

That's unfortunate. Can they be glued back together?

Not very easily, it's fairly hard to tell where the fossil ends and the rock begins in many places, some pieces kinda just flaked off and the concretion kinda crumbled in many areas taking chunks of the goniatite with it here and there. On the plus side, I have about 20 similar ones I can save by not putting them in the freezer.

Hey man,

Not sure but my guess for this image would be a piece of Neural spine from the top of a vert, probably wrong but the shape really reminds me of one.

(I'm not suggesting its this kind of vert in the attached image, but just to illustrate the common shape of neural spines.)

post-10871-0-11388300-1359669371_thumb.jpg

post-10871-0-46950100-1359669859_thumb.jpg

Progress of my fossil cleaning can be found on my Instagram feed

http://instagram.com/gbfossils

YouTube for fossil collecting and prep videos 

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBFossils

Just had a really interesting one pop, sorry in advance for the picture quality, but I was to excited to wait for it to dry and then clean it. I'll post better quality pictures later if needed.

post-8113-0-81182200-1359683907_thumb.jpg

post-8113-0-24080400-1359683920_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Archived