Gasoline Powered Angle Grinder.

Raistlin

For those who have one where did you get it?

I have been searching, but ever place I pull up says I have to buy in bulk (like 100+).

Robert
Southeast, MO

Try searching with the term 'petrol' instead of 'gas' or 'gasoline'. I did that and it brought up a lot of Google hits within Australia.

Yeah i tried that too :(

This is the only link I have found right now that does not want me to buy in bulk.

http://www.prostarequipment.com/gas-power-tools.php

I did find one in Australia but it cost more than the above link. At this point those are the only two I have found.

Here is the Aus. Link.

http://www.procureit.com.au/petroltools.html

I cannot believe it is that hard to find them in the U.S. lol. A lot seem to be bringing up links for either the big concrete saws or electric/battery powered saws.

Robert
Southeast, MO

That is why you are getting more hits than me. On eBay if it says posts to Austalia it means they are only shipping there. I also tried buying from your other link and the only country it will let me select is Austalia. :(

I wonder why I cannot seem to find them in the U.S.? I would not think there is a regulation in place. The only thing I can think of is OSHA but that does not seem right.

Thanks for hepling me. My only other option is converting a weed eater but this would be much easier to use.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Try asking them. I have to do that a lot when I buy from the U.S. eBay. People are usually willing if you're happy to cover the shipping costs.

Stihl's TS 410 can be fitted with both cutting discs and grinding discs. It's the mother of all angle grinders.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I have one ... cost $129 from ebay new bought it a couple of yrs ago ... was the only bidder... it is a no name brand.

PL

Just out of interest, what is your price range including shipping?

Well not including the ebay links you posted the only one I have found lists one for $300 (not including shipping) and though I think that is a bit much for something that might die in a few years I also think that would be a nice tool to have in the field.

I would not want to do anything over $350 really. Ideal price would be one under $200.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Stihl's TS 410 can be fitted with both cutting discs and grinding discs. It's the mother of all angle grinders.

I might have to settle for something like that. I was looking for angle grinders though because of the size. Being a smaller guy hunched over one of those saw for several minutes one will be much easier on the back lol.

That one weighs almost 21 LBS, not a lot of weight until bent over it lol.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I have one ... cost $129 from ebay new bought it a couple of yrs ago ... was the only bidder... it is a no name brand.

PL

That would actually be perfect. I would love to find one at that price.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I might have to settle for something like that. I was looking for angle grinders though because of the size. Being a smaller guy hunched over one of those saw for several minutes one will be much easier on the back lol.

That one weighs almost 21 LBS, not a lot of weight until bent over it lol.

hmmmm ... good point. That's like 21 pounds less fossils you can carry back to the car with you too. :( Peter's version is probably the better choice.

Peter, do you have a model number or pictures so other folks looking on this thread can see what to look for?

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

hmmmm ... good point. That's like 21 pounds less fossils you can carry back to the car with you too. :( Peter's version is probably the better choice.

Peter, do you have a model number or pictures so other folks looking on this thread can see what to look for?

It is kind of buried somewhere in the garage ... I will look for it on the weekend and snap a pic ..... but it cuts real slow... compared to a 14" diamond tipped blade on German made Makita concrete saw.

Nice fish in the background (Mioplosus ????)...... that toy just doesn't seem right to me............. but you continue to amaze me with all the "toys" you have amassed........

The Gas powered grinder is 12.4lbs with 7" diamond tip blade. 2cycle engine

That looks like something I could get a lot of use out of! I think I would need a larger blade for some of my larger pieces, though.

What about it doesn't seem right, Malcolm?

It just has something of almost a steampunk look to it. A gas powered angle grinder just seems wrong somehow...... Might work just fine... but I think the concept a bit wierd....

Nice fish in the background (Mioplosus ????)...... that toy just doesn't seem right to me............. but you continue to amaze me with all the "toys" you have amassed........

Yes from Green River.... I also made a concrete saw weedwhacker also in the early days... can cut underwater at least the head component can be submerged...

I guess gas power on a small machine seems a little like overkill but if it cuts slow, maybe not. I keep hearing that electric ones are too weak, at least for hard rock.

I have some thin abrasive type blades that I think would be ideal for shale at least, I wonder if these would work on a machine like that, either electric or gas powered.. depends on the arbor I guess (mine 1/2" or apparently a little more)

No problem cutting through shale... dolostone is difficult to cut through... takes 4x longer to cut compared to normal concrete saw.... as gas grinder very low torque.... My Makita cuts at 7000 rpm.... this angle grinder cuts in practice if you are lucky 3000 rpm zero load and 1000 rpm in practise but weighs 1/3 of a concrete saw... at 12.5 lbs.. . idea for long treks .... no fun carrying a 30-40 lbs saw....... this saw will outperfom a rechargeable type dremel with diamond tip blade.

PL

The trouble I have has is that the diamond blades and some of the abrasive masonry ones tend to be too thick, so they have to cut thru more rock meaning it takes more effort/time. The masonry one I tried tended to melt the rock before it removed it - slow-going (of course that was on a chop-saw setup so the blade stayed in one place, ie. up and down but no back and forth - not sure if this would make a difference or not). I think the answer is a thinner blade. I mentioned the thinner abrasive blades I have, 7" diam, but I also wonder if there are available thinner diamond blades for this type of machine that would work better than the thick ones, and more than 7", say 10" or 12"?

Edited by Wrangellian

a thin blade is fragile and more expensive.... if you use water to cut then rock cutting should be much easier...

I would prefer something that doesn't require water as my shale (esp. the glued pieces) can react negatively to it...

Edited by Wrangellian