Help Identifying

fishman1520

there is a section of the wall of a small canyon that i have found a entire network of these.looks to be some type of tube worms.this was the only whole specimen that i could actually remove.it is in kyle texas.just south of austin.

post-9961-0-65920000-1358958703_thumb.jpg

post-9961-0-51178900-1358958739_thumb.jpg

post-9961-0-51503500-1358958767_thumb.jpg

It looks like an ammonite impression with some of the fossil "shell" present.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I agree they look like possibly ammonites, larger pictures would be nice they remain small and thumbnail like when I click on t hem..

I think ammonites too? Have any information on geologic age? Hard to tell with the pic though sorry.

-CQ

Edited by Crinoid Queen

I see a vaguely coiled "something", but no evidence of chambers, suture lines, or ribbing/ornament. What do people see that says "ammonite"? I agree larger pictures would help.

Don

i will be back in the canyon today and will post more pictures of the wall.to me it looks like the underground portion of a tube worm.where the ornamental/feather part would actually exit the other side.this is along a deep creek.about 2-300m down the creek,before the canyon,there is a formation,where i have found ammonites,helical ammonites,gastropods,bivalves and echinoids.so im assuming.lower cretaceous.

Rudists. Weird Cretaceous bivalves. Maybe a type of Caprinid. Looks like Edwards Limestone which is often filled with these combinations of casts and voids. But rudists occur in many other formations around Austin. The piece centered in the form is a cast of the interior space.

This Sunday is ID day at the Texas Memorial Museum http://www.utexas.ed...iddays/ Bring it down, and if you are lucky our local rudist expert will be there. If not, then there will still be a few of us amateurs helping folks figure out what they have.

You should get a copy of the Austin Sheet of the state Geological Bedrock Atlas: http://www.beg.utexa...ossSecAtlas.php

Edited by erose