Hind Wing Of Herdina Mirificus?

evannorton

Hi Folks-

I had another nodule split open from the same location (Braidwood/Mazon Creek)- where I found the roachoid wing.

It appears to be wing-like - but the preservation is not as definitive. Part of the detail is on each nodule.

Please take a look and let me know if you agree with my ID.

Thanks in advance.

Evan

post-8532-0-44265000-1359137872_thumb.jpgpost-8532-0-88372600-1359137910_thumb.jpg

Edited by evannorton

Hi Evan,

Sorry, I'm not seeing an insect wing. I think you are seeing insect because of the pattern of the white kaolinite infilling those cracks. While the general shape is similar, the devil is in the details. The lines in your specimen just don't match the venation in the holotype, or any insect wing pattern I know of. They are too random. I'm not sure what you have there though. I've see this type of infilling and cracking on plant material from here in Indiana, especially in nodules. Bivalves here sometimes have this cracked internal structure as well. Hope this helps.

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

It might be a fish scale. If you can get a sharper picture I should be able to tell

I hadn't thought of that! Yeah, better pictures would help a lot. Fish scales are rare too, I'm rooting for that!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

The shape reminds me of a seed.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The new pictures helped and I am 98% sure you have a fish scale.

It is a nice find for Pit 11.

Here are a few similarly shaped examples.

post-1202-0-81199700-1359212032_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-48319500-1359212085_thumb.jpg