Mazon Creek - Jellyfish

evannorton

I'm not sure but it's very interesting. It shares the kind of cracked white surface that a holothurians from that location have but it is much fatter. I'll be watching this one to see what others have to say!

I'm not sure about jellyfish. Jellyfish, like the common Essexella, is preserved usually much more delicately. Perhaps a coprolite?

araucaria1959

The fossil has a very unusual u shaped component on the positive side - at the very top. This shape makes me believe it is not mineralization. Perhaps it could be a sea cucumber....take another look and see if you still feel the same way. Thanks for looking!

It is not possible for us to decide from these pics whether this is a sea cucumber or not; this would need an enormous magnification. If it is a sea cucumber, you can see "sigmoidal hooks":

http://i740.photobuc...ek/IMG00709.jpg

I once had a specimen myself which had been labelled (by the seller) "sea cucumber" (Achistrum). After I looked at it (with 20 x magnification) and didn't find the hooks, it became evident that it was not a sea cucumber.

araucaria1959

Edited by araucaria1959

Hmmm... I'm no expert, but what I think you have there is a juvenile sasquatch footprint ;)

No, really, I don't know. 99.9% of my collection is vertebrates, so I can't add anything but a little laughter, however, it's VERY interesting to see this because I would have never thought a jellyfish would leave a fossil record...

Thanks for posting it.

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks Araucaria......I will try to dramatically improve the image magnification.

Thanks for the comic relief, Govinn.