DeloiVarden

2011 Cooper River Dive

DeloiVarden

This is a rather old video, but shows my brother and I taking the plunge in the Cooper River in search of big megs.

NetDoc

Depths? Temps? The vis looks horrid and that just makes it more fun. :D

Edited by NetDoc

zachj

lol it would suck if that flashlight went out!

Paleoworld-101

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Does the water pressure kill your ears? I've never been diving but my ears pop even when going to the bottom of a deep swimming pool :D

Cris

Does the water pressure kill your ears? I've never been diving but my ears pop even when going to the bottom of a deep swimming pool :D

You have to equalize or your eardrums could rupture...Causing serve vertigo...Not knowing which way is up is a bad thing when you're diving. :P

DeloiVarden

You have to equalize or your eardrums could rupture...Causing serve vertigo...Not knowing which way is up is a bad thing when you're diving. :P

I usually don't have any problems equalizing, but did blow out an ear one time when I was wearing a hood. Hoods help keep you warm but increase the chance of equilibrium problems for some folks.

DeloiVarden

Depths? Temps? The vis looks horrid and that just makes it more fun. :D

If I remember correct, depths at that spot ranged from 25 to 40 feet. Temps were probably in the low 60's. Vis was actually pretty good for a river around here.

Paleoworld-101

Yeah i was thinking that too, but i guess you could just blow out and see which way the bubbles go? That must be up.

jpc

Great video, thanks for sharing!

I agree... I can't dive to 10 feet deep without great pain to my ears. How do you guys equalize?

NetDoc

The most common injury for dive students is ear barotrauma. Why? They wait for pressure to build before they attempt to equalize. Make your first attempt as you get out of bed that day! Most people look up, pinch their nose and then gently try to blow. It's called the valsalva maneuver If you can't do it here, why gear up at all? Then just before every descent, start your equalization on the surface. If you are having issues, blow your nose and try again. No need to continue if you can't do it here. Then, just be sure that you keep up with the equalization as you go down. If you feel pressure and can't equalize, ascend a few feet and try again. Keep slowly ascending and trying until you either surface or get relief.

addicted2fossils

Looks like a spooky dive! Though I'm sure it's pretty fun, I gotta dive the Cooper sometime!