A Nice Surprise In The Magothy River, Md

Shark Tooth Hunter

One day i decided since I live about an hour away from Calvert Cliffs MD and I always have to get my mom to drive me there to try and check a local beach about 5 minutes away from me. This beach is on the Magothy River in MD and has some small cliffs so i figured it was maybe worth something. It looks a little bit like Calvert Cliffs but it's a whole lot smaller. So my friends and I started to walk the beach and look for whatever we could find. I found some brown rocks that sort of looked like coral but i threw them back because they didn't look that interesting. My friend was looking for rocks to skip when he found an arrow head right away. Now that got my hopes up really high because if i couldnt find shark teeth i would sure love to find an arrow head! So i kept looking and finally found some small shark teeth and i was hooked right away. I never would of thought that there would be shark teeth 5 minutes away from me! So i found several teeth and called it a day knowing i would probably come back to the same beach as much as possible. The teeth that I found might not look like much but it's a good start. Maybe there could be bigger teeth there. I always thought that the Magothy river had nothing since I have lived near it for several years and have been boating many times on the river. I would go to Calvert Cliffs and the Potomac River most of the time to collect. But now i can find decent fossils and maybe an arrow head or two right in my backyard!

post-5370-0-97202000-1359592362_thumb.jpg

Way to go! :)

Nice to have a spot so close - keep searching it!

You're off to a good start.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Keep looking and learn the spot. My initial finds at gmr were like that, now I am pulling mastodon teeth out.

Not related to fossiling, but I grew up there, and went to Arnold Elementary and Magothy River Middle School. Small world.

Archived