Eight-armed Animal Preceded Dinosaurs

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Oct. 30, 2008 -- An eight-armed creature that looked more like a modern party favor than a living animal colonized a large section of the world's oceans over 300 million years before the first dinosaurs emerged, suggests a new study.

Find the article HERE!

Cool fossil, but eight-part radial symmetry among inverts is not earth-shattering news. Another case of the popular press seizing the sensational: "eight arms!" seems more exciting than "new Ediacaran Period biota discovery". At least the writer described the critter in detail.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The nice flat area around the "arms" reminds me of jellyfish type fossils I have seen before. Some of them looked like they had raised structures inside of the "bell".

another annoying phrase is the "300 million years before the dinosaurs emerged"

what's so special about dinosaurs that they need to be singled out for comparison with an ediacaran fossil ?

I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things; by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me. ~ Richard Feynman

...what's so special about dinosaurs that they need to be singled out for comparison with an ediacaran fossil ?

Popular press: Dinosaurs are the charismatic megafauna of the prehistoric world.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Popular press: Dinosaurs are the charismatic megafauna of the prehistoric world.

i know - it doesn't prevent it from being annoying : the simplistic ladder of progress from slime to dinosaur to man

I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things; by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me. ~ Richard Feynman