Queensland Tff Dig

Down under fossil hunter

So today Ash and I decided to hit a couple of my local sites.

We started off at Ebbw Vale to explore some of the late Triassic mudstone of the Blackstone formation.

Picked up the usual Dircroidiums, Seed ferns and Calamites.

post-5076-0-61831300-1359876050_thumb.jpg Ash busy smashing up the mudstone.

post-5076-0-66443500-1359876139_thumb.jpg post-5076-0-75030100-1359876245_thumb.jpg A couple of the finds.

post-5076-0-63796900-1359876632_thumb.jpgAnother fern that I had no hope of getting so I did a lousy prep job on it.

post-5076-0-90838700-1359876763_thumb.jpgNot quite a fossil but this skull from Tiliqua nigrolutea was an interesting find!

So next we took a short 10min drive to the Redbank Plains fossil site.

The Redbank Plains formation is composed mostly of a coarse-grained sandstone but also contains a stratum of very fine grained mudstones.

It is believed to have been a very calm freshwater lake rich in fauna and flora not unlike a large billabong of today.

Its fossils were laid down around 46 million years ago placing it in the mid-Eocene, they can be found today as small boulders with iron banding through them ranging from purple to red, orange and yellow.

When it was first surveyed in 1934 it was found to have a rich and varied range of creatures from fish to crocodiles and even birds.

It is an extremely interesting site that has not been studied in detail and sadly it is being built on by new housing development (when Ash and I got there today it had shrunk by almost 30% in the 12 months since I last visited) I imagine it is due to this urban sprawl that the fossils are so scarce.

In the 80's it was producing some amazing fossils but for all of todays efforts we were rewarded with a tiny sliver containing some small pieces of fish.

post-5076-0-60114700-1359878839_thumb.jpg

If you were very patient and prepared to put in long hours and spend several days then you might be able to find something more substantial.

post-5076-0-40900700-1359879490_thumb.jpg I believe this may be Phareoides queenslandicus (based on the shape of its fins and its large size) I found this one a few years ago when there were more areas to hunt.

I believe it is quite rare as I have never seen fossils from this location anywhere excluding a string of verts at the St Lucia UQ.

Edited by Down under fossil hunter

Almost forgot to put this in......

Most of the nodules/boulders wash into this narrow gully that goes on for a few hundred metres.

post-5076-0-80178100-1359879849_thumb.jpg Here is Ash busy trying to find himself a fish!

Ehhhhh.... no dice!

Edited by Down under fossil hunter

I love those ferns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And any fish material is bloody tops in my books!

Looks like you guys had an awesome day, too bad to hear about the housing development that is restricting collecting areas. If only everyone shared our view of fossils!

Thankyou for putting up these pics btw.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Looks like a fun day! I like those ferns... time to get the portable saw?

I have the same problem with my local spot, there are houses being built upon it but I suppose I have development to thank for the exposure in the first place. Luckily it's not happening at breakneck speed like it usually does..

I love those ferns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And any fish material is bloody tops in my books!

Looks like you guys had an awesome day, too bad to hear about the housing development that is restricting collecting areas. If only everyone shared our view of fossils!

Thankyou for putting up these pics btw.

No problems!

That fish was the first vert fossil I ever found, there are more bits of it including most of its jaw but they are almost impossible to prep as they are so jumbled in the nodules.

Looks like a fun day! I like those ferns... time to get the portable saw?

I have the same problem with my local spot, there are houses being built upon it but I suppose I have development to thank for the exposure in the first place. Luckily it's not happening at breakneck speed like it usually does..

I have had some success with a hammer drill and splitting it quite effectively however it is a time consuming process that I only initiate rarely.

I would like to go back and find a few more decent examples before it is completely covered up by little boxes.

I was in Gladstone this time last year and I really don't envy you the heat you must have had. Drop me a line if you come down to the ACT.

Birds from Redbank Plains? I'd like to know more about them!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll rebuddle with pics of you when I get time tommorow =D

Temperature was pretty good.

DUFH - thanks for the tours, info and fantastic day, it's much appreciated. And the pieces you gave me.

Let me know when you want to go to Warwick and we can meet up there.

Though one problem: whenever I close my eyes I see bloody ferns! They were everywhere!

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Righto, the days events are already summed up so I'll just contribute pictures!

Lots and lots and lots and *repeats for awhile* of plant material at Ebbw Vale.

Then when we arrived at Redbank DUFH commented on yet another quarry

we drove past on the way and stated it also contained plant material. Another

day, perhaps? (hint hint..)

Redbank, whilst much less eventful, muddier and mosquito containing, was still

thoroughly enjoyable.

First up, DUFH inspecting some plants at Ebbw Vale.

8443173594_a9250b348b_z.jpg

Then just what alot of the rock/mudstone looked like

8443173846_6bde548180_z.jpg

Some Calamites (is that what you said?)

8443173972_0c4d6affe4_z.jpg

Off to Redbank for a vastly different scene change!

The area:

8443174084_8dae893fa6_z.jpg

And finally, another of DUFH searching through a freshly split stone for signs of any kind of fossil.

The lucky fellow eventually succeeded :D

8443174180_4c08dfdd59_z.jpg

Cheers,

Ash.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Can't believe how common the ferns are at Ebbw Vale, i've never found any that large or complete.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Looks like absolutely beautiful collecting areas and great finds. I enjoyed seeing the pics. Thanks for sharing!

I was in Gladstone this time last year and I really don't envy you the heat you must have had. Drop me a line if you come down to the ACT.

My sister lives at Giralang and I get down there a couple of times a year, will definitely drop you a line when I am headed that way.

How do you pronounce "Ebbw"?

It's Welsh and is pronounced 'EB-U-VALE' The Welsh were some of the first to emigrate to Australia and settle in Ipswich as it was a town built on coal mining.

Birds from Redbank Plains? I'd like to know more about them!

They are in some very old editions of the FCAA, I will try to dig them up.

One of the only things I remember about them is that at the time they were discovered they were the oldest known bird fossils in Australia.

It's Welsh and is pronounced 'EB-U-VALE' The Welsh were some of the first to emigrate to Australia and settle in Ipswich as it was a town built on coal mining.

Ah, thanks.

Seeing these pics again am reminded how much I would love to be in a sunny fossiliferous spot like that right now....

Edited by Wrangellian

• 1 year later...