What's In A Name?

Ludwigia

In my case, complete bliss! Now I can make it public. The paper has been published and I've now got a new species of crab named after me!

http://link.springer...2542-013-0163-7

Found it in the upper Aalenian Staufensis bank at one of my favorite haunts in the Wutach area and knew I had something special in my hands, since I'd never heard of a crab being found in these layers. Sent it off for study to Guenter Schweigert at the museum in Stuttgart who then had his suspicions verified by Rodney Feldmann. It's just a single chela, but that was enough to go on. Here are a couple of pictures of it.

post-2384-0-80805600-1359934624_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-97804600-1359934645_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Outstanding! I assume they have retained the holotype?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Whoo Hooo!

Congratulations, Roger!

Well done.

I am very happy for you. You must be so proud.

I know we are! ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congrats Roger, I'm sure a lot of us would love to have such an honor

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Congrats Roger, I'm sure a lot of us would love to have such an honor

Thanks to everybody for the laurels and congrats! I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and had the experience to recognize it. I discovered it in the matrix surrounding an ammonite which I had promised to cut open for a young boy who had gone out with his father and myself on an excursion. Another "coincidence" was that Rodney Feldmann had just put in a request by Guenter for a photo of the S.liasana shortly before I sent him the Photo of my own find.

Woh Roger ! Congrats ! :goodjob: Who said that the professionals do not like working with us (not professionals) ? Great result !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Woh Roger ! Congrats ! :goodjob: Who said that the professionals do not like working with us (not professionals) ? Great result !

Coco

Thanks, Coco! I didn't say that anyway. I've mostly had good experiences in that regard. They rely heavily on our field work.

That is totally cool Rodger! Did you go celebrate at Red Lobster's Crab Fest lol I sure would have :P But really that is quite an achievement! WTG :thumbsu::goodjob:

-CQ

Great, Roger! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Congratulations :fistbump:

Some times the background things (or the bonuses) make the difference. Experience and keenness like yours are absolutely needed, though ;)

Is there any chance the new species to take a name in your honor ???

Astrinos P. Damianakis

It is Stenodactylina rogerfurzei, and is only the second species in the genus; it is already in Wikipedia!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very exciting Roger! Congratulations!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

astron-

The species name is luwigia's real name... so yes. Very cool.

Thanks again to everyone for your endearing comments!

That is totally cool Rodger! Did you go celebrate at Red Lobster's Crab Fest lol I sure would have :P But really that is quite an achievement! WTG :thumbsu::goodjob:

-CQ

Not sure they have Red Lobster's in Germany..........

Weelll...we've got a Wienerwald over here, but I figured barbequed chicken didn't quite fit...

Wow, congratulations! This is a goal of mine...You achieving it gives me hope that maybe I can someday also. Congrats again!

I'll cross my fingers for you, Cris! I was extra lucky to get my name on the holotype. In the end, it's the author who chooses the name, and in this case, I already knew him personally, so I guess that played a role.