Oligocene Fossils From Florissant

PRK

Being a total fossil nut, and having excellent locality info, my new bride and I took a wonderful 7000mile expedition around the entire western half of the US, to see where we might want to settle. We visited a half dozen world class fossil sites.

Along the way to Omaha and the badlands i took another sidetrip to Florissant co., this was before all the rules and regulations were in place. And ever since have had a GREAT affinity for fossil insects. Luckily she also loved fossils, and although we never returned to florissant, some years later we located another excellent oligocene fossil insect locality. I will share pics with you later.

It was summer when we were at florissant, the fossil laden paper shale lies in some beautiful country up in the Rocky Mountains. It didnt matter then, but I kick myself now for not taking a pic of that beautiful countryside,. and ive heard it is not uncommon to have 4-5 feet of snow for 5-6 months there in the wintertime.

We camped out at night and ended up spending 5-6 days digging in the Florissant area, long enough to get to know a lot of the locals.

BTW, does anyone know a David knapp? He worked at the monument during the summers, and was another fossil nut. A nice guy and very helpful. If so, I would very much like to rekindle our friendship.

Upon my return home, LACMIP put some of my florissant collection on display, and among many other pieces, here are a few of my favorites. note the fresh water ostracod on the ovipositor of the parasitic wasp.

Hornet. Parasitic wasp. Sequoia branches/ berries. Flower/Chinese hatbox

post-9950-0-86046600-1360085450_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-89965200-1360085501_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-14145900-1360086814_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

I love the Florissant area! A few years ago, I spent a couple weeks at "The Nature Place" (for an ornithological study program); the property abuts the national monument grounds, and I walked there most every day between classes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Did you get any pictures of the area? Or insects?

Neither, unfortunately. The trip was in pre-digital days (somewhere, in the wayback, there might survive some Kodachrome slides), and there was no collecting allowed at the monument (and no time was available to seek and secure private land owner permission, either).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

Love these! So beautiful! Thanks for posting them...I am hoping to get back there some day. This year we are going to go back to the Douglas Pass area and will probably not have time to go to Florissant. The quarry where they let you pay to find fossils is still pretty neat. There is a great interview from a few years ago about the site you might enjoy: http://www.cpr.org/article/legacy-archive-1156

Crazy, isn't it and I literally found it in the first piece I picked up. You just never know. I could tell from the woman who was running the quarry that day that it was an unusual find, I'm glad they let me bring it home because I know that sometimes they hold onto things. How big is the spider you found? Was it at the site of the present day park?

Nice ones... Don't you wish you had that wedge-shaped piece missing from the corner of that conifer? I've got pieces like that too from sites up here.. *&^$#

• 2 weeks later...

I almost lost this guy, one of my first nice finds while in Florissant, and I learned a hard lesson from him. When I found this lovely insect it was dry and coated with thick black organic.matter. And like most rock people I thought I'd be a wise guy and darken this beauty by licking it. To my horror, most of the organic matter stuck to my tounge, although luckily some did stay on the fossil, narrowly averting disaster. Just after doing this everyone around started laughing as they could see the form of the insect on my tounge. luckily I learned my lesson in the beginning of my Florissant endeavors. I haven't licked another rock to this day.

This insect is just over an inch long

post-9950-0-99423000-1362851449_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

How'd it taste? :P

A few years ago, my family and I were on a road trip through that area. My parents usually try to fit in some fossil collecting while we are on vacation. We spent half a day at the quarry there and found lots of cool things! We got a few little flies, a big robber fly, and a bunch of plants. The quarry is definitely worth stopping at if you are in the area.

Awesome pictures. Those plants are especially beautiful.

-Gabe

I like crinoids......

Those are some beautiful specimens. :wub:

fyi though, I believe Florissant is dated Eocene.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

By current accounts, it is in the uppermost of the Priabonian stage of the uppermost Eocene, having missed the start of the Oligocene by only about a million years.

I am not an expert at all but in The Fossils of Florissant book that I have it describes radiometric dates of 34.07 years indicating that the "fossils were deposited near the very close of the Eocene Epoch, which ended 33.8 million years ago."

Give or take a week :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Here is another Florissant friend.

A weevil about 12 mm

Now THAT is cool!

(Not that everything else in this thread is not cool!)

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is another Florissant friend. I'm afraid my Florissant collection is long gone. But, I did run across another oligocene fossil insect/leaf locale about 20years later, ill show some in another thread! What a treat, for me!!!! I love fossil insects !

A weevil about 12 mm

That is a neat one! Thanks for posting! I just finished reading The Fossils of Florissant, makes me really appreciate the great insects I was able to find there. Wish we could go back this summer.

• 3 months later...