Strawberrybank Fossil Collection Somerset Uk

DE&i

Is there anyone on the forum interested in fossil insects and have heard the lateset news regarding 15 percent of the fossil insect collection at the strawberrybank musuem somerset UK has been untouched for two decades and has just now been rediscovered.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

This is pretty interesting; the allure of the rediscovered hoard and all that!

What is the time-scope of the fossil insect collection there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

... has been untouched for two decades and has just now been rediscovered.

Fossils in a museum untouched for two decades? In many places that would just be a coffee break. Many major museums have dinosaurs still in plaster jackets that were collected 70-90 years ago.

Don

Fossils in a museum untouched for two decades? In many places that would just be a coffee break. Many major museums have dinosaurs still in plaster jackets that were collected 70-90 years ago.

Don

Yup, Don is spot on. There are a number of unidentified specimens from Mazon up at the Field right now. Still, I would jump at the chance to wade into a forgotten collection of fossil insects. I hope we get to see pictures. :fingers crossed:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Link about the story from the BBC. Does 'Marine' also mean fresh water in the UK? Is Strawberrybank a marine deltaic preservation? None of these insects are marine organisms so I was a bit confused by the title.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I agree there is some confusion with this article I’m sure Charles Moore discovered the insects from another location south west of Somerset and then brought them to Illminster to be part of the Strawberry bank marine fossil collection.

Illminster is about 18miles from the famous Jurassic coast and is well known for the Jurassic Junction Bed which yields a wide range of ammonites which can simply be picked up off the fields.

Hence Charles Moore’s marine fossil discoveries from the working quarry’s of Illminster at that time.

Edited by D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

That makes more sense for sure! Thanks for the information, my knowledge of geology within the UK is quite limited so it's nice to get the walkthrough.

-- Terry Pratchett

The pleasures all mine, im really enjoying my geological stroll of the UK ( studying my books ) answering questions to the best of my ability relishing the feel good factor when i get one wright. :P

Regards.....D&E&i