Marine Mammal Verts

Shellseeker

Found in the same sieve/hole. Not sure they are same or similar mammal. Larger is 3.1 inches at base, 2 inches high, 2.25 inches wide. Smaller is 2x2x.5. I always think these are porpoise but the larger one is larger than I have found previously. SS

post-2220-0-62892700-1360200550_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-79405300-1360200583_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Same spot -- another vert. This one is 4.5x3x2 inches. Makes me wonder about upper end on size of a porpoise vert. I am looking for the skull!!! :P -- that would be telling.

post-2220-0-92944800-1360423653_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It's a cervical vertebra, and (IMO) too large for a porpoise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex --

Could it be Dudong? http://www.paleodisc...ateeDugong.html. Anyone familiar enough with Dudong verts to ID one? Photo from above webpage:

post-2220-0-05235900-1360432083_thumb.jpg

Dugong vertebra

4"

Miocene Epoch

Peace River, Hardee County, Fla.

Personally, I think it's 'whaley', but you ought to contact Boesse for his expert opinion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey there, these are all cetacean vertebrae - but they are too small to be unambiguously identified as toothed whales, and too large to just be identified as baleen whale. Sirenian vertebrae typically have a heart-shaped centrum and are not composed of porous bone like that. Bobby

Hey there, these are all cetacean vertebrae - but they are too small to be unambiguously identified as toothed whales, and too large to just be identified as baleen whale. Sirenian vertebrae typically have a heart-shaped centrum and are not composed of porous bone like that. Bobby

Thanks Bobby, Whale verts are not THAT common in my searches, so finding 3 is enticing. I will go back this week and maybe find some more verts which, if larger, could make a difference. Also I have only ever found one whale tooth (below). It would be real nice to find another. I can only hope!!!

post-2220-0-11935800-1360545829_thumb.jpg

Archived