Displaying Fossils Like Sculptures

hitekmastr

Our Winter Fossil Prep/Display Project

My wife and I are spending the "off season" collecting site ideas for spring/summer, getting ideas and tips from friends on the Fossil Forum (thanks to all!). We are also teaching ourselves how to prep some of our 2012 finds and developing ways to display our fossils.

One concept is to drill holes through fossil assemblages and display them on a steel rod mounted on a wooden platform. I'm currently experimenting with this and will post if successful.

We have about a dozen pieces from one of our favorite Devonian sites - nice death assemblages, mostly brachiopods, a few pieces of trilobites, etc. Each piece is about 5 to 7 inches wide and a few inches thick. The pieces were covered with caked on beige colored clay because there is a lot of rain/water that filters through this fossil formation. I recently got a "steel toothbrush" from Lowe's and used it to scrub away the beige clay sediment, which worked great.

I thought that it would be cool to mount several similar of these pieces on a 3 foot steel rod - bending the rod to hold the fossils as shown in the photo. This is not the finished piece, just a layout to show you the general idea. I plan to mount the rod on a stained wooden base.

I have an extra long drill bit but still not sure if drilling with fragment the pieces or not. The pictures look grey but actually the pieces are olive green and bluish in color which makes for an impressive display. This method allows us to display several medium sized pieces, and each one can be rotated to look at all sides. Here is the concept I'm working toward:

post-8709-0-55619700-1360475815_thumb.jpg

The final "sculpture" will include 3 or 4 pieces. Here are some closeups of this fossil showing some of the unique features:

post-8709-0-36254600-1360475936_thumb.jpgpost-8709-0-54406400-1360475953_thumb.jpgpost-8709-0-88202300-1360475963_thumb.jpgpost-8709-0-91865700-1360475978_thumb.jpg

We're also experimenting with ways to display fossil ferns (from St. Clair). Currently we use small plastic coated wire stands from Michael's crafts, and we're looking for something that allows us to display several small flat pieces on one 3 dimensional display.

Sorry I had the camera on "monochrome" - the following image shows the rich colors of these fossil pieces after cleanup - the olive and blue tones of the shale are impressive.

post-8709-0-16713800-1360519901_thumb.jpg

UPDATE - Drilling the Fossil

post-8709-0-33568200-1361817322_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-69867300-1361817345_thumb.jpg

I am currently creating a fossil sculpture that will eventually show three 6 to 7 inch wide shell assemblages from Deer Lake (Devonian). I bought some 3/16 diameter steel rods at Lowe's - about 3 feet long. Next, I selected some very solid specimens that look like they will not fracture if I drill them. Next, I drilled a 1/16 pilot hole a few inches into the rock. Then I used a standard sized 3/16 drill bit to widen and deepen the hole as far as I could drill. Finally, I took a "super long" 3/16 drill bit I bought at Lowe's and drilled the rest of the specimen - the key is to go progressively larger and deeper using smaller and shorter drills before finishing with the extra-long drill.

After this I used a heavy metal vice ($20 at Lowe's) to bend the rod at a 90 degree angle. Because I want the fossil to be able to rotate, it can't rest on the rod, so I'm using beads to raise the rock off the bent rod - have not bought the beads yet. (the beads were my wife's idea). Some of the fossils are cracked or look like they will crack so I'm only using the really solid pieces for this. The trickiest part will be bending the rod AFTER each fossil piece is placed on the rod because the bead and fossil needs to be threaded on the rod, then the rod is bent twice and the second piece will be added...I'll show you the rest of the process and the completed piece as soon as it's ready.

Edited by hitekmastr
  • I found this Informative 1

You have an interesting and innovative project. Can you post a picture of the Michael's wire stands you mention or perhaps list what they call them? A cursory look at their web site proved fruitless, when I searched for "wire stands." Thanks.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I'd be worried that drilling through the rock would shatter or split it, especially if the rock is something like shale. It might be better to use extra metal brackets to grip the rock in position.

This might help you out http://www.jule-art.com/Product.asp?Category=422. I have mounted & displayed hundreds of fossil and mineral specimens when I worked for a large science retailer and this company is where I got most of my bases and stands from. Look under acrylic bases they have clear and black and they come with rubber feet that you apply. They have many sizes to chose from and their prices fit most budgets. I agree with Marley and would suggest you don't drill into the stone. You can grind a flat surface on the matrix away from any fossils so that it may stand up on its own or use a three prong stand. I only drilled and inserted a brass rod into the matrix of a fossil skull like an Oreodon to give it that floating museum look. Spend some time on this site and look around. Let me know how it works out for you. Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

post-9628-0-17288900-1360516019_thumb.jpg

Here is an example of the types of stands I have picked up at Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

post-9628-0-53834100-1360516078_thumb.jpg

Here is a small piece of hash plate, very similar to yours, that I made into jewelry.

I have several of these brachiopod plus hash plates and they are very fragile! I can't even clean mine with vinegar without breakage. Holds together well though with a very fluid super glue.

The two things I would like you to note on the pendant:

1. The wire wrapping! It does not hurt the fossil at all! Inexpensive as the wire is less than $5. It can be changed out or added to at will. It comes in so many colors! I rather like the bling with the ancient fossils. :) The wire wrap can be attached to your metal sculpture and actually enhance it with dimention (sp?) and color!

2. Unfortunately you can't see it here, but I used a brass brush on a rotary tool to touch it up and get off little flecks of mud. It left gold spots on the fossil that looks just like so many of the pyrite fossils I have seen on eBay! BEWARE, what you buy as pyritized fossils on the Net may be nothing more than burnished with a brass brush!!!

Hope this helps someone!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-17288900-1360516019_thumb.jpg

Here is an example of the types of stands I have picked up at Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

post-9628-0-53834100-1360516078_thumb.jpg

Here is a small piece of hash plate, very similar to yours, that I made into jewelry.

I have several of these brachiopod plus hash plates and they are very fragile! I can't even clean mine with vinegar without breakage. Holds together well though with a very fluid super glue.

The two things I would like you to note on the pendant:

1. The wire wrapping! It does not hurt the fossil at all! Inexpensive as the wire is less than $5. It can be changed out or added to at will. It comes in so many colors! I rather like the bling with the ancient fossils. :) The wire wrap can be attached to your metal sculpture and actually enhance it with dimention (sp?) and color!

2. Unfortunately you can't see it here, but I used a brass brush on a rotary tool to touch it up and get off little flecks of mud. It left gold spots on the fossil that looks just like so many of the pyrite fossils I have seen on eBay! BEWARE, what you buy as pyritized fossils on the Net may be nothing more than burnished with a brass brush!!!

Hope this helps someone!

Bev, The plastic stands in your photo were made by Jule-Art and new ones can be found in the link I provided if you need more. :) Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I'd be worried that drilling through the rock would shatter or split it, especially if the rock is something like shale. It might be better to use extra metal brackets to grip the rock in position.

I'm worried about fracturing the rocks also so will experiment with one. I am planning to drill a "pilot hole" with a Dremel then will drill a larger hole with a standard cordless high speed drill with an extra long drill bit. Any wavering will probably split the rock - however, if I split the rock it will reveal more fossils so that wouldn't be a disaster.

Examples of Inexpensive and Practical Fossil Displays

I really like the fossil display link provided by mikeymig! Thanks.

Here is how we are currently displaying our fern fossils. We use poly coated and metal stands from Michael's crafts. Our fossils are fairly large so we need large stands. This solution works great for us and the stands are reasonably priced. Also, we have a couple of dozen Riker mounts - we found some very thick ones that accommodate thicker fossils, and ordered them by the case.

Now as described in this post, I am seeking a solution that will allow me to: 1) display non-plant fossils, 2) display single and multiple fossils in a sculpture-like arrangement. I have one fossil that I drilled and inserted pegs, then mounted ona stand, but it's at the office and I need to take a photo of it to share here.

Here are pictures of how we are currently displaying our fossils, mostly ferns because we don't have a good solution for displaying our Devonian finds - they look great on a shelf or cabinet or desktop - Image 4 is about 2 feet wide. Image 5 shows what happens when we "think outside the box" which is a quirky display solution. We are also looking for wall mounted solutions. Hope these offer some ideas:

post-8709-0-83693300-1360523090_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-40760400-1360523109_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-89674200-1360523132_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-64124400-1360523160_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-04956300-1360523176_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-77508100-1360523192_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-15563700-1360523214_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-07788000-1360523229_thumb.jpg

You have an interesting and innovative project. Can you post a picture of the Michael's wire stands you mention or perhaps list what they call them? A cursory look at their web site proved fruitless, when I searched for "wire stands." Thanks.

snolly 50 - the images I just posted will give you an idea of the stands I mentioned - they are in the picture frame area at Michael's.

Thanks for the photos of the wire stands. I've been to our local Michael's dozens of times to pick up framing supplies. I guess I've walked by those stands plenty of times and just didn't see them.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I love the hands holding the fossils! Now that is "out of the box" thinking!

Here is a thought for you on a display for larger fossils, and groups of fossils--PLANT STANDS!

Plant stands can really vary! Often of metal! Contemporary to country styles! 2" to 6' tall, the taller ones usually have at least a dozen platforms for "plants"! Big heavy rock? Consider a rolling metal plant stand. If you like plants as well, consider a pothos vine growing among the fossils to set them off. For that matter, if you have plants, consider using the exposed dirt/rock area as a display for your fossils!

Create a "Fossil Garden"! Like a rock garden inside the house!

Fossils, wire wrapped, make beautiful fan/light pulls! How about drawer pulls since you are willing to drill into them! Display on antlers! I love antlers!

Consider making "useful, unexpected" items out of your fossils-- like table lamps! The light cascading down on the fossil can be stunningly unexpected!

What about creating an indoor pond with your large fossils! Or buy and indoor pond and stack your fossils around it in an artistic fashion! Especially useful as a pet waterer and to add humidity to the air in winter. :)

Hope this gives some ideas!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I love the hands holding the fossils! Now that is "out of the box" thinking!

Here is a thought for you on a display for larger fossils, and groups of fossils--PLANT STANDS!

Plant stands can really vary! Often of metal! Contemporary to country styles! 2" to 6' tall, the taller ones usually have at least a dozen platforms for "plants"! Big heavy rock? Consider a rolling metal plant stand. If you like plants as well, consider a pothos vine growing among the fossils to set them off. For that matter, if you have plants, consider using the exposed dirt/rock area as a display for your fossils!

Create a "Fossil Garden"! Like a rock garden inside the house!

Fossils, wire wrapped, make beautiful fan/light pulls! How about drawer pulls since you are willing to drill into them! Display on antlers! I love antlers!

Consider making "useful, unexpected" items out of your fossils-- like table lamps! The light cascading down on the fossil can be stunningly unexpected!

What about creating an indoor pond with your large fossils! Or buy and indoor pond and stack your fossils around it in an artistic fashion! Especially useful as a pet waterer and to add humidity to the air in winter. :)

Hope this gives some ideas!

Wow, Bev, you are brimming with ideas! I REALLY like the idea of combining plants or vines with fossils. Also, using plant stands as bases. OF course, the concept of putting them on stands or creating a hybrid with plants means we have to up our game and look for some really large fossils, or death assemblages, that are impressive. Nancy and I talked about getting a pick axe today to crack out larger formations from our favorite Devonian site, which could produce some larger pieces similar to the specimens shown here. Thanks for the advice - great ideas!

Hitek. Mikey and bev.

THANKS for a great post.

Fossil displays are the start

Of many discussions.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

This has been a wonderful thread! I think it should have gone in the General Discussion where it would have gotten more exposure! I had a heck of a time finding it again after it went off the right hand side new stuff!

Loved Mikey's link to the stands, but I only buy them one at a time!

Actually, your smaller fossils are fantastic in plants! Nothing like a fossilized snail to make someone take a closer look at what is in that pot!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Nan and I are discussing how to blend our 308 million year old fossil ferns with REAL ferns - doesn't that sound cool? Not sure how to do it but that's something we're definitely going to try.

Thanks guys and gals, Im glad you like the link I posted. They pack their stuff super well when shipping to ya and have everything for us fossil collectors. I have one of their easel open book stands to showcase my rarest fossil book and a couple of their locked acrylic cases for smaller specimens. I also have glued 3prong stands to an acrylic base for some things (slabs that have irregular sides) and I put black velvet on their thick beveled bases for things like loose trilobites to sit on. I also have a big display case with lights on the top and the clear acrylic helps the light reach the bottom shelves. I recently had them custom make me a black, acrylic, lazy susan base for a large (65lb.) coral I found this past spring. The coral had one side that was flat and it sat up nice but I wanted to be able to see both the top and bottom of the coral without having to pick it up. It cost me $35 for the stand and it made my display look like a million bucks. I have ordered stands with other collectors in my town and we all split the shipping cost. It worked out great cuz I got 25-30 another guy got around 5 another wanted 10-12 and we put them all on one bill like going to a resturant. I really like your idea of displaying fossil ferns with live or recent ferns around them. I did that once with fish! I had a tall 75 gallon fishtank with gars, lungfish, and an arowana in it. On the wall near the tank I hung all my fossil fish slabs (19" Diplomystus, 12" Phareodus, Priscacara, Knightia, Mioplosus, and a gar from Messel). It looked great for a long time but when the fish died I never replaced them and took the slabs down.:( Have fun with the ferns and I would like to see how they turn out!

mikey

led zeppelin

Yes, that fossil ferns and live ferns sounds totally intriguing!

Mikey, talk about pictures! I would LOVE to see pics of your displays! It sounds like you have a museum there! Black acrylic lazy susan? Sounds dynamite Gorgeous! And they custom made it for you?! For $35, only????!!!! What a steal!

If you have any old pics of the aquarium and wall display, would love to see that too! How CREATIVE!

I have cats (and dogs) and saw a fairly inexpensive sabartooth tiger skull, replica of course, that would be so cool next to the kitty bed!

My problem is total lack of space and being permanently under construction! I have an old half a school desk outside up against a 6' piece of fence that I display fossils on, my "boneyard" and now my horse statue on a cement pedestal has big slabs of fossils all around it! Yes, I know they shouldn't be outside, but I have so many there is no room in the house! And I just bought a 70 lb. or so "stepping stone" with a rather nice large ceph showing and a smaller, maybe 30 lb., Stewartville Formation rock with two hormatomas, but won't get them until the ice thaws and I can get them out of the ground--$25 for both... I paid $65 for a 5' long 4' high specimen rock with a number of maclurites and a rare ceph delivered and put in place. That is what got me started on this addiction! Most of my retaining wall/deck is heavily fossilized as well!

Bob says I have a "rock problem"... Rocks in the head! LOL

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Thanks guys and gals, Im glad you like the link I posted. They pack their stuff super well when shipping to ya and have everything for us fossil collectors. I have one of their easel open book stands to showcase my rarest fossil book and a couple of their locked acrylic cases for smaller specimens. I also have glued 3prong stands to an acrylic base for some things (slabs that have irregular sides) and I put black velvet on their thick beveled bases for things like loose trilobites to sit on. I also have a big display case with lights on the top and the clear acrylic helps the light reach the bottom shelves. I recently had them custom make me a black, acrylic, lazy susan base for a large (65lb.) coral I found this past spring. The coral had one side that was flat and it sat up nice but I wanted to be able to see both the top and bottom of the coral without having to pick it up. It cost me $35 for the stand and it made my display look like a million bucks. I have ordered stands with other collectors in my town and we all split the shipping cost. It worked out great cuz I got 25-30 another guy got around 5 another wanted 10-12 and we put them all on one bill like going to a resturant. I really like your idea of displaying fossil ferns with live or recent ferns around them. I did that once with fish! I had a tall 75 gallon fishtank with gars, lungfish, and an arowana in it. On the wall near the tank I hung all my fossil fish slabs (19" Diplomystus, 12" Phareodus, Priscacara, Knightia, Mioplosus, and a gar from Messel). It looked great for a long time but when the fish died I never replaced them and took the slabs down. :( Have fun with the ferns and I would like to see how they turn out!

mikey

We thought about putting some shell covered fossils in our 55 gal aquarium - we have parrot fish, some cyclids, tiger barbs, weird looking prehistoric looking catfish type creatures...will fossils - the minerals, I mean - hurt the fish? Anyone know about this?

As long as they aren't water soluble. I think they will be fine just keep in mind, you will have to clean them once in awhile. The green stuff will start to grow on them and I would sterilize them first.

Mikey

led zeppelin

I gave my brother a big 6" fossil shark tooth to put in his aquarium. The algae and stuff growing on it looked pretty cool.

That shark probably didn't have a cavity his entire life and now you put his tooth in an aquarium and it's growing algae (and stuff)! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Mounting A Fossil on a Wooden Base

I've been using this method to display Devonian "death assemblages" which are about 5 to 7 inches wide. Putting them on a base turns them into a sculpture and also makes it easy to view them from all sides. It gives the piece a "3D" quality. One view shows the finished piece and the other shows a closeup showing where I drilled the holes.

post-8709-0-97115700-1361818543_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-36016700-1361818559_thumb.jpg

For this piece, I used a rock that had a solid base and drilled 3/16 inch holes about 15mm or so deep (I drew a line on the drill bit with a black magic marker to make sure both holes were the same depth).

Then I inserted two stained dowels into the two drilled holes. These are seldom parallel (I have to work on getting them more parallel but it's ok of the "legs" are at an angle).

Next I placed the fossil's "legs" on a stained wooden platform and traced the position with a pencil. Then I drilled holes in the wood, coated the dowel tips and sides with superglue and inserted the dowels into the platform. The dowels and platforms come from Michael's and Lowe's. Both places have small wooden platforms used for trophies, or for woodworking.

This piece is stained mahogany. Others are stained walnut. Dark wood seems to look better.

It is difficult to display smallish, awkward sized rocks, especially shells, and I didn't like keeping these tucked away in boxes or drawers. I needed a solution that let me see all sides, and I also wanted something that would look nice on a shelf in my office, or at home. I think this looks better than just gluing it on a wooden base, or propping it up on a tilted stand. At some point I may try something a bit more far-out, like the trilobites-on-a-stick that I've seen on this forum. Maybe Devonian shells on a stick...I'm visualizing three pairs of long wooden sticks coming out of a large wooden base, in a fan configuration so there would be three different fossil rocks displayed like lollipops.

Experimenting with displays is a fun way to spend the winter off-season. Also, this coming season, we will be looking specifically for thicker rocks in certain sizes or configurations that match the display techniques we're developing and this helps us set our goals for the season.

Edited by hitekmastr

EXCELLENT way of displaying fossils!

May I add that coating fossils with Mod Podge--available anywhere, latex, is another way to solidyfy graveyard hash plates that are fragile, available in both matte and gloss finishes.

Drilling is not necessary. "Perching" fossils on the dowels with museum wax is very stable.

Go to my

Pinned Posts: