Texas Dinosaur Vertebra

LanceH

I found this large vertebra recently in the Woodbine sands, age being about 96 million.

Does anyone have a better ID other than "dinosaur"?. The top parts are broken off.

post-11-0-66806100-1360544170_thumb.jpg post-11-0-99421300-1360544194_thumb.jpg post-11-0-65516600-1360544215_thumb.jpg

There maybe also Pleistocene age deposits at this locality.

Edited by LanceH

just a thought is there any underlying cretaceous deposits in that formation.

Yes, the Woodbine sands are Cretaceous but this area also maybe some Pleistocene deposits up high. The whole area is heavily worked by water so it's possibly from either era.

I've been trying to match it to images in my limited library and there's some slight resemblence to some Iguanodont verts but not exact. It's much shorter front-to-back than any dino verts I see, it's like a paver brick.

Edited by LanceH

Hi,

Nice find.

Looks like a hadrosaur mid to anterior caudal. The attachment area near the top of the side of the centrum is for the caudal rib.

Paul

The site was shown to me by a friend and I let him have what I found. I just took pictures because I thought the material needs to be kept together. Hadrosaur is what my friend also ID'd the large vertebra as.

Here's a few others I found: A tail vertebra and bit of crocodile osteoderm.

post-11-0-80719600-1360702868_thumb.jpg post-11-0-22663000-1360702906_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceH