:d 2 Rocks. 1 Has Circular Pattern And ?

lissa318

OK. My mom moved and when visited today started checking out her new garden. Found these and others.... Thinking lake stones? Am I pathetic???? lol! http://www.thefossilforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png I'm pretty excited. Lots of split concretions too... http://www.thefossilforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png post-8801-0-26277400-1360549414_thumb.jpg ID's? Please something.... http://www.thefossilforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png

Edited by lissa318

The one with a circular pattern sure looks like a Stigmarian Rizomorph ( Lycopod root cast ) to me.

Forget about pathetic. It's out of the question :)

Yaayy Lissa! :D

I agree with Dale - looks like a plant fossil - some type of lycopod. I'll let others weigh in as carboniferous plants are not my strong suit. :P

Not too sure about your other items. You could try to freeze/thaw the concretions, to see if there is anything inside.

Just do a forum search for Freeze/Thaw.

I knew you'd find something soon and here you are! Well done!

Congratulations!

And you're not pathetic at all. Hope you find more soon.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The one with a circular pattern sure looks like a Stigmarian Rizomorph ( Lycopod root cast ) to me.

Forget about pathetic. It's out of the question :)

Yaayy Lissa! :D

I agree with Dale - looks like a plant fossil - some type of lycopod. I'll let others weigh in as carboniferous plants are not my strong suit. :P

Not too sure about your other items. You could try to freeze/thaw the concretions, to see if there is anything inside.

Just do a forum search for Freeze/Thaw.

I knew you'd find something soon and here you are! Well done!

Congratulations!

And you're not pathetic at all. Hope you find more soon.

Regards,

Woot, woot! Yay!!!! :) Thanks guys! I thought I saw a similar circular design on here not long ago, but was having a difficult time finding it again with out an ID. :) After looking up it definitely looks the same. So happy! Haha On similar ID's I am seeing 350+million years old?! Is this based on location of where it was found or pretty standard? I am also wondering if devonian? Read that you can possible tell based on color? Thanks for the responses!!!! Going to go do a happy dance now.... :D

Lissa,

Definitely - a find worthy of the happy dance. :)

More likely, this is a Pennsylvanian aged fossil - approximately anywhere from 320 to 299 million years old.

This Bedrock Geologic map of Pennsylvania shows Allegheny County as mostly Pennsylvanian in age.

Hope this helps out some. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lissa,

Definitely - a find worthy of the happy dance. :)

More likely, this is a Pennsylvanian aged fossil - approximately anywhere from 320 to 299 million years old.

This Bedrock Geologic map of Pennsylvania shows Allegheny County as mostly Pennsylvanian in age.

Hope this helps out some. :)

Regards,

That's a very helpful map!!! Thanks again! :). I wasn't sure too because I found it along with a ton of concretions and such that appear to be lake stones that were brought in mass quantity.... Thought may possibly be from Lake Erie. The one concretion was partially cracked just on the outside and appears to be a dried mud on the inside, as opposed to solid. I can very easily brush it out which is not what I expected. I'm beginning to think just mud... lol

Lisa,

If you can get to a spot where there are old shale dumps from coal mining you could have a real field day. Be really careful though there could be open pits, or dug out seams.

Dale

Stigmaria in your Mom's garden is pretty cool. :) There could be more in nearby streams.

Context is critical.

Thanks guys! Rockwood, there is a spot I heard of pretty close to here I want to check out... :D Missourian, exciting to hear and wish I found it outside my moms garden... lol! I scanned the rocks and grabbed this one before I even rang her doorbell. This is why I felt slightly pathetic... LOL! ;) And thanks Joyce! I am happy!!! :D

Hi lissa318

This is very promising to find this kind of circular pattern sure looks like a Stigmarian Rizomorph ,this is a good indicator of soil ancient

like this one from France : http://forums-natura...brongniart-1822

About concretions and spherical shapes , sideritic nodule ????

best regards

Bruno

Edited by docdutronc