Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stubee5

Need Ammonite Collecting Localities Near Milk River

6 posts in this topic

if you have any good ammonite collecting localities near milk river, please post directions here. thanks!

Are you getting any response to your various requests? I very much suspect not. You might consider the following:

1. Posting directions to any decent site online is an absolute, iron-clad gaurantee that that site will be destroyed within a month. Many people troll this web site specifically to get hints about productive sites, and generally such people have no problems with cleaning the sites out, generally also trespassing and leaving holes in the ground and trash laying about for good measure.

2. Finding productive sites virtually always involves a major effort to find old research papers (which may involve travel and multiple trips to various University research libraries), learning the local geology, making contact with land owners and gaining their trust to where they grant permission to search their property, then lots and lots of boots on the ground work to find the actual outcrops, the right layers, etc. In some cases, I have invested over a year to get access to a site, and even then most sites turn out to be not all that productive. Yet you expect others to do all that work, then hand everything over to you without so much as a how-do-you-do? Not to mention posting directions online to ensure that their work is handed lock stock and barrel to commercial collectors or to unscrupulous collectors who will destroy the site and ensure that the land owners never again even consider allowing collectors onto their land? If I ask you to post your bank account number, or the passwords to all your online accounts, to this web site, would you do it? If not, why not? Think about it. Do you see the parallel with what you are asking people to do?

3. You list Toronto and Bethlehem, CT as your locations. You should be aware that it is against the law to remove fossils of any description from Alberta without a permit issued by the province. Do you have such a permit? Do you know how to get one? Are you aware of how hard it is to get one?

4. Putting "thanks!" on your post does not make it considerate of your fellow collectors.

Don

1 person finds this informative

i've noticed much of the above as well. stating my experience as politely as i can, one person cannot understand the value of another person's efforts unless he invests the same time, travel, expense, and sacrifices as the first person.

so yes its sometimes a good idea to entrust your better site info to those you'd entrust with your credit card numbers which for most people is a short list.

however i like to share. i strike a balance by sharing with strangers the sites that still produce and will please them, yet i'm pretty much done with the site. as i get to know people better and see similar work ethics, collecting philosophies, initiative, values, and generosity, we gradually share better sites with each other. and there's nothing wrong with keeping a few sites off the radar for self and family.

summarizing, sharing is fun when the host can maintain how deep the sharing goes. this pursuit is most satisfying when one does the research, invests the time, then enjoys the reward according to the timeless law of reaping and sowing. on the bright side, site prospecting gets a little easier with self education, and reciprocal guided trips with like minded, invested collectors is the only real shortcut i can think of.

i don't think anyone is witholding for any reason other than good sites being depleted faster than new ones opening up, with burgeoning numbers of collectors and frequent closures of quarries making it harder for any individual to maintain a short list of high potential sites for any period of time. i counter this with constant exploration, and that costs me lots of time and gallons of fuel.

magnanimous gestures do happen with no strings, for instance i've guided 3 people within the last week. but results are most consistent if we rely more so on our own efforts than expect magnanimous gestures from others with any sort of frequency.

good luck in your endeavors, and feel free to peruse my site prospecting 101 and 102 threads to aid you in guiding yourself to success.

i have family in alberta and i am going to keep the fossils with them

i have spent a good amount of time studying old geological maps and documents for possible sites btw

I did a big hunt in Utah in 2007. Did as much online research as possible, bought USGS topo maps, plotted out likely areas.

The best tip I received was in a coffee shop on the NW CO. border. They had a few Green River fish for sale, and I just asked. 2 of the staff came over to talk with me, though they had never hunted fossils themselves, and told me they knew people hunted for plant fossils in Cowboy Canyon. Bingo, and it was not a spot on my list. Had a great time in that canyon.

I know you are trying to prepare and probably getting excited, but the best thing to do, if you are able, is to put your boots on the ground and keep your eyes & ears open.

Have fun!