Fossil Sponges From Russia

Evgeny Kotelevsky

Ooooh, a sponge micro-photo; very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 10 months later...

Did you have to treat those sponges in any way (eg. acid) to get those micro photos, or do they come out of the ground like that?

Did you have to treat those sponges in any way (eg. acid) to get those micro photos, or do they come out of the ground like that?

To find spicule-structure on my sponges, I prep them out with needles and small hammer, then I wash them in warm water and then I look for small remains of spicule-structure with magnifying glass )))

To find spicule-structure on my sponges, I prep them out with needles and small hammer, then I wash them in warm water and then I look for small remains of spicule-structure with magnifying glass )))

So those holes are empty to begin with, they did not have to be etched with acid? Good preservation!

So those holes are empty to begin with, they did not have to be etched with acid? Good preservation!

You can use weak acid (9% vinegar) to prep sponges out of marl. Weak acid will not destroy spicules (if they preserved on sponge surface). But I prefer to use needles instead of acid )))

Evgeny, you quite possibly have one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) collection of sponge fossils in private hands. It's truely impressive. I love how you did the last photo in a 360 rotation.

Great to see you back!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Evgeny, you quite possibly have one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) collection of sponge fossils in private hands. It's truely impressive. I love how you did the last photo in a 360 rotation.

Great to see you back!

Thanks ))))

I'm going to present all my collection in 3D )))))

• 2 weeks later...

Archived