Split Nodule & Another Item. Both Plant?

lissa318

post-8801-0-30396800-1360880450_thumb.jpgpost-8801-0-39015600-1360880478_thumb.jpg

Pittsburgh PA. I need to get a better camera.... The nodule (?) has a vein like pattern in it, and the other an area of perfectly straight lines. Hope pics are good enough to maybe ID. Also not sure if the second one is just an imprint.... Thought? http://www.thefossilforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

Edited by lissa318

Yes, we need better pictures of the one on the left. :) It looks like a leaf, but.... I'll let other chime in on that. ;) Another interesting thing about it is that it kinda looks like a siderite concretion was mixed into a sandstone, and then split recently.

Do you have an iPhone or equivalent? With my iPhone 4s, I can tap the area of interest on the touch screen, and it seems to focus as desired. I also take 10 to 15 pictures just to make sure I get one that I like.

The one on the right is part of a plant. It resembles a Cordaites leaf, but there are a few other possibilities.

Context is critical.

I have a droid phone which is what I have been taking pics with. Let me see what I can do! :D Yay! Excited again!!! lol ;)

Way to go, Lissa. :)

I agree that the brown one looks leafy (Neuropteris maybe?) and the one on the right looks kind of like a piece of Calamites.

I don't really know alot about carboniferous plants, so maybe others will chime in.

Well done.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, my opinion is that you have a Neurpoteris leaf, and a bark impression of Calamites, as Jim has said.

Way to go! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

YAY! Thanks all!!! :) Is this calamite also? This is on the same rock as the other. There's a odd circle thing on it too...post-8801-0-66270000-1360887218_thumb.jpg

I'm not real sure about this one, but Calamites often have circular scars where branches were. You should be prepared for your next challenge ; where am I going to keep all of these :o

Hahaha! Yes I have been pondering that myself.... ;) I got lucky with my stigmaria as it stands up perfect by itself and is a nice size. lol I'm sure I'll figure something out!!! :) Thanks for the response. I'll just write it off as maybe a scar. Wasn't sure if the other lines were anything at all. They weren't obvious like the calamite...

I'm not real sure about this one, but Calamites often have circular scars where branches were. You should be prepared for your next challenge ; where am I going to keep all of these :o

The last specimen can be a small stem or axis from a fern or seed fern too, e.g. from a climbing fern /seed fern. It is very difficult to ID such specimens.

araucaria1959

The last specimen can be a small stem or axis from a fern or seed fern too, e.g. from a climbing fern /seed fern. It is very difficult to ID such specimens.

araucaria1959

Thanks! I just figured because it was on the same rock as the calamite, that if it was something-it would possibly be clamite related. Good to know and thanks again! I am very excited about these finds... Read that both are extinct? That "WOWS" me.... :)

very nice ! you are getting a good eye for things now Lissa , keep it up and im looking forward to see what else you find

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

very nice ! you are getting a good eye for things now Lissa , keep it up and im looking forward to see what else you find

Thanks ckmerlin! :) I do have quite a few things that I am unsure about but don't want to post... lol I have had what I consider a streak of luck and hate to ruin it! Haha I have found what I believe to be more tufa btw but not positive on all of it. The one does seem to have a line of plant in it but think just an imprint. Some of the pieces appear different than others. Does it vary in appearance much? Thanks again for your comments! I am totally addicted to my new hobby. :D

Yes, my opinion is that you have a Neurpoteris leaf, and a bark impression of Calamites, as Jim has said.

Way to go! :)

What he said. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks