Using Binomial Nomenclature

Harry Pristis

I don't see this discussed among collectors, and there may be some confusion about using binomial nomenclature ("scientific names") when identifying fossils.

There are rules for naming fossils and for using those names in formal writing. These rules are promulgated by the International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) for several purposes:

The first purpose is to promote the universality of scientific names of animals so that everyone uses the same name for the same taxon.

The second purpose is to insure that each name is unique and distinct.

The third purpose is to insure the use of priority when choosing between possible names, generally the earliest name is preferred.

Hobbiests/collectors are most concerned with the lower levels of the hierarchy of formal names -- family, genus, and species. Here are some rules which apply at those levels:

A formal name above the species level, including the genus, is a single word which is always capitalized when it is used in a formal sense. e.g. "Otodontidae" or "Reptilia."

The formal scientific name of an animal always consists of at least two words. The first is the generic name, the second is the trivial name. Sometimes, when the trivial name is not determined, the scientific name may be expressed as in "Carcharhinus species," or "Carcharhinus sp." where only the generic name is italicized.

The generic and trivial names are always underlined or italicized when used in a formal sense. The genus name is always capitalized, while the species name is never capitalized. e.g. Canis dirus.

The use of the trivial name "megalodon" by itself is not formal, but rather is an example of a trivial name entering the vernacular. The name megalodon has become a common name, and as such, is not capitalized nor italicized.

Here is a sketch of how these terms appear in a formal setting.

-------Harry Pristis

post-42-1196445624_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very interesting Harry, I think it would show more professionalism if we all tried a bit harder to use the scientific names. Being this forums purpose to enlighten and teach each other and to share knowledge and understanding of fossils and related fields I believe it is important to use proper terminology when discussing a fossil up for ID especially.

Hi !

we had the same discussion in a french forum...I think that when you write sp. it is in "normal" letters for example Androgynoceras sp. and it is the same for aff. trans. ect

But it is not very important !

See you

Mil'

Hi !

we had the same discussion in a french forum...I think that when you write sp. it is in "normal" letters for example Androgynoceras sp. and it is the same for aff. trans. ect

But it is not very important !

See you

Mil'

Thank you, Mil' -- you're correct, the "sp." for "species" is not italicized. My example should have read Carcharhinus sp.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest