A Couple Of Teeth & Bones

Shellseeker

I was out yesterday even with a chancy weather forecast. Turned out better --much better then I thought -- both the weather and the results.

In my 1st sieve, I found a nice chunk of Mastodon tooth, and in the last sieve one of my 10 best Megs out of the Peace River -- just on 2.75 inches.

In between I found a number of question marks. I have a few guesses but will leave IDing to the experts.

post-2220-0-10966400-1361049959_thumb.jpg post-2220-0-90147600-1361049989_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-20450300-1361050014_thumb.jpg

There is one more, left for next post. All suggestions appreciated. SS

EDITED:

Photo1 15mm occusal surface X 25mm

Photo2 33mm occusal surface X 28mm

Photo3 38mm in length

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

And here is the fourth -- very unusual in that I have never found anything like it.

post-2220-0-13696500-1361050313_thumb.jpg

EDITED 25mm X 35mm 1inches x 1.4 inches

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I was out yesterday even with a chancy weather forecast. Turned out better --much better then I thought -- both the weather and the results.

In my 1st sieve, I found a nice chunk of Mastodon tooth, and in the last sieve one of my 10 best Megs out of the Peace River -- just on 2.75 inches.

In between I found a number of question marks. I have a few guesses but will leave IDing to the experts.

post-2220-0-10966400-1361049959_thumb.jpg post-2220-0-90147600-1361049989_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-20450300-1361050014_thumb.jpg

There is one more, left for next post. All suggestions appreciated. SS

The left tooth in the upper row once belonged to a deer

The picture for the fourth bone is a bit out of focus. But I'm thinking it is the proximal epiphysis from some critter's tibia. What is its maximum width - about 1.25 to 1.5 inches? Too small for most artiodactyls, but perhaps the right size for a canid or felid juvenile.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

The middle tooth looks pretty horsey to me. I love the colors of the stuff that comes out of the peace. I'm dying to get there.

The left tooth in the upper row once belonged to a deer

I thought "deer" initially, because of size but the occusal surface seems wrong. Here is a deer molar I found in 2010.

post-2220-0-63892200-1361066005_thumb.jpg

The picture for the fourth bone is a bit out of focus. But I'm thinking it is the proximal epiphysis from some critter's tibia. What is its maximum width - about 1.25 to 1.5 inches? Too small for most artiodactyls, but perhaps the right size for a canid or felid juvenile.

Exactly Rich. I added sizes -- it is 1.4 inches wide. Here is another photo, hopefully clearer. I would love it to be predator, but understand difficult to to be specific.

post-2220-0-96321600-1361067025_thumb.jpg

The middle tooth looks pretty horsey to me. I love the colors of the stuff that comes out of the peace. I'm dying to get there.

Agree Gary -- given the age, I just love details of the fossils and the black color is common in the Peace. I also think this may be horse, but seems unerupted!! Is so small, would have to be colt. Just hopeing that someone can verify..

And Mike -- here is the Meg -- a little river smoothed, but overall excellent and an outstanding root...

post-2220-0-01289100-1361067350_thumb.jpg

Harry, Thanks for the IDs and the photos -- you are just good with this fossils. Me and hunting friends have been finding a number of the deciduous horse teeth lately -- 3 or 4 of them. I will know them from now on --

On the Llama, I was somewhat confused. It was found in a mixture of heavy clay with a little gravel which usually means fossils. But when I picked it up, I thought deer based on size, but the occusal was wrong. I did not think Llama because most of the Camel/Llama teeth I have previously found are large -- maybe 2-3 times as large as this one. Different species or juvenile or ...

In the end , I was thinking this would come up bovine calf... and recent. Certainly pleased.

It's a camel premolar. Dave Webb, the camel expert, once told me that there is a dwarf camel to be found in the Peace River sediments, but that there was not enough material to describe it. That said, I doubt that your tooth is out of the normal range for known camels from the Peace River.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry,

Lined the two fossils up even though different sizes -- 15mm and 19mm,,

It is easier to see all the similarities. I believe the one I just found is a right side p4 premolar. SS

post-2220-0-65771000-1361234697_thumb.jpg

All are great but that meg is amazing!!

My Avatar is 3.25 inches - largest I have found in the Peace River. The one below could be my favorite due to condition and serrations, although the size in only 2.5 inches. These are like children, I know their "birthdays" and I love them all.

post-2220-0-58122500-1361594184_thumb.jpg

I treat my teeth like that now. No megs yet but I would be floored to find one that size and in that condition! They are my "gold" as my husband says. He laughs when he comes home and I have them out all spread out examining them. Over and over. :)

Archived