Kelleyack

Okay, I found this tooth a few weeks ago and gave it to my daughter because I thought it was just the root. She brought it down the other day and when I looked at it closely- I was surprised that there are serrations on both of the enamel fragments including on both interior sections (where it splits). Thoughts?

post-10773-0-06860600-1361198725_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-06701400-1361198749_thumb.jpg

Good morning. At first I thought the same thing you did. It does looks pathological, but I think part of the root on the right side of the tooth is missing (along with the other cusp). It looks like it has tumbled down a few streams and rounded off the sharp edges of the broken part.

Cris found one not too long ago that looks very similar, but is definately pathologoical. Maybe he will post a pic for you. :)

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Good morning. At first I thought the same thing you did. It does looks pathological, but I think part of the root on the right side of the tooth is missing (along with the other cusp). It looks like it has tumbled down a few streams and rounded off the sharp edges of the broken part.

Cris found one not too long ago that looks very similar, but is definately pathologoical. Maybe he will post a pic for you. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate it! That certainly could be the case. I was surprised to find any serrations and wasn't sure if I should give it back to my 5 year old or negotiate a trade with her. :)

Guessing by the size I dont think its pathological. I think its a posterior or not to far from it tooth and the grown was broken off. A picture of the "broken area" could be of help though.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Guessing by the size I dont think its pathological. I think its a posterior or not to far from it tooth and the grown was broken off. A picture of the "broken area" could be of help though.

I think you all are right! Just wanted to have some other people look at it before I gave it back to my 5 year old. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. :)

What you have is a broken angustidens. I can see one of the cusps and the serrations that you see is the base of the tooth. I would say that most of the root is there. On the other side of the root would be another cusp. I have found many teeth just like this. Can you imagine with a root that robust what the tooth may have looked like? Many call this a "Shame-er" Like...What a shame. :(

What you have is a broken angustidens. I can see one of the cusps and the serrations that you see is the base of the tooth. I would say that most of the root is there. On the other side of the root would be another cusp. I have found many teeth just like this. Can you imagine with a root that robust what the tooth may have looked like? Many call this a "Shame-er" Like...What a shame. :(

Yes! I think you are right. It is a first for me - but yes a "Shame-er" for sure. I do have lots that fit that category though... would have been a great find. Sigh. Thanks for your feedback! I suppose it is safe to give it back to my 5 year old. :)

Archived