Whale Tooth?

AJ Plai

Hey I found this interesting looking tooth the other day and was wondering if it's

a whale tooth like the dealer told. It's North American in origin as far as he could tell.

Here is what it looks like:

post-10857-0-59596800-1361200968_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-72257400-1361201032_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-89813500-1361200997_thumb.jpg

From these pics is it possible to ID the specie? If so how rare is it to find a specie like this or to

find a tooth this size in this condition? Thx again for the help guys!

PS: in case some of you are wondering, no it's not a $5,000 tooth!! It's in Thai baht which is approximately

$160-ish.

Edited by AJ Plai

It does look like a whale tooth. Some larged toothed whale, maybe sperm whale. Did the dealer provide any formation or age of the fossil? I dont think I would pay 160.00 for it though.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

What you have is an extinct toothed whale tooth of a species called Scaldicetus. Not rare and can fetch $100 to several hundred depending on size, condition and locality.

Thx for the info guys. Sadly, the dealer doesn't know much more than this - you know, one of those

"I got this from a friend, who got the tooth from a fossil show in 20xx..."

It's the one thing I am frustrated the most about many of the local fossil dealers here - they

just don't care (or know better in a few cases..) to record their specimen's provenance and locality!

As I've detailed before, the "Scaldicetus" morphotype is not a real genus, and is a paraphyletic grade taxon including numerous extinct physeteroid genera (Livyatan, Brygmophyseter, Zygophyseter, Acrophyseter, etc.) Teeth of this morphology are best identified as Physeteroidea indeterminate.