How Good Of A Condition Is This Keichousaurus?

AJ Plai

Well, actually my first concern would probably be whether if this is genuine

but I guess its very hard to tell just by looking at an online picture. The

specimen was in a closed display frame (which I really dislike the design...)

so I couldn't quite take a better close-up picture of its surface.

Would a UV light test help? What would I need to look for to see if its legit or not?

Anyway here are the pics that I took:

post-10857-0-78121400-1361209122_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-51729600-1361209150_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-92164800-1361209174_thumb.jpg

How is the condition of this specimen from a collector's perspectives?

Thx guys!

It is fairly typical: roughly prepared, and much restoration.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't see very well in the pictures, but if you have seen it yourself or can look closely at it:

Look carefully at the bones, they will not have any detail, real bones will have lots of texture. The bones will also have a hand painted look which the bones should not have. The carved vertebra will not look like vertebra, but will look like a lump with some straightforward ridges in it. There will also be no even spaces in-between each vertebra like real spinal cords has. If the specimen has any of the things just mentioned, it is definitely a fake.

From what I can see it appears to be a dorsal presentation as opposed to the more commonly seen ventral.

This might make the piece more of interest.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thx for the tips and info guys.

From what I can see, not sure if I am right though - the ribcages do look kinda like they are painted

and may be around the end of the tail bones also, but I guess that's not uncommon for a specimen like

this right? As long as it's cheap, you get what you pay for I suppose.

I think I will wait a bit longer and look for better looking specimens, preferably a larger and more

professionally prepped one.

You can also run into the Chinese actually painting over real specimens in order to ship them from the country. (Selling them as painted replicas) I believe that yours is real, mainly because of the way its presented. As Snolly50 pointed out.