Sign in to follow this  
jpbowden

Any Sites Around Dallas, Fort Worth Area?

jpbowden

I will be up at Arlington this weekend and would like doing a little hunting, is there anyone that would like to share a site with me?

Thanks for any help.

Pat

racevw112
I will be up at Arlington this weekend and would like doing a little hunting, is there anyone that would like to share a site with me?

Thanks for any help.

Pat

I don't have any experience of sites up here, still learning. I have just been on two of the DPS trips (Oliver Creek which was on private property and the Spillway at Jacksboro) and the Forum trip to the Waco Pit.

The Spillway at Jacksboro is pretty good, but it may be a drive for you from Arlington. If you do find somewhere to go, I would possibly be interested in meeting up with you if you don't mind.

Somewhere over in the Mansfield area is supposed to be pretty good for sharks teeth. There was an article in the paper a while back that listed Benbrook Lake and Lake Worth, never been to either site for fossil hunting.

I guess the real private sites someone might PM them to you. All the ones I listed here are pretty much public knowledge.

Lyle

jpbowden

Thanks racevw112

I have been to all of the others but have never looked in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I'll have the day to myself and will just knock around a little and see what turns up.

MikeD

I think the key to the DFW area is to look for construction. Fossils are everywhere around there, you just need a good piece of heavy equipment to help let them out of their hiding places.

racevw112
Thanks racevw112

I have been to all of the others but have never looked in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I'll have the day to myself and will just knock around a little and see what turns up.

Good Luck and post what you find.

Lyle

jpbowden

Thanks Guys.

post-749-1225840459_thumb.png

LanceH

Yeah, most of the areas I have hunted in DFW are tiny exposures or construction related spots.

jpbowden

I guess it's better if you live there full time, here there's so much building going on that there's always a place to look.

tracer

There is a lot of potentially good territory to look at near arlington. i've prowled around the area of the two lakes east of there and the west dallas area - the old eagle ford and arcadia park communities have strata named after them. atco contact exposures, eagle ford exposures - shark teeth, ammonites, septaria, lots of stuff. you may find a paper called "ocean dallas" online that's informative. a lot depends on what you want to look for. on the geological map, you'll see that with an hour of driving, you can go from upper cretaceous to lower cretaceous and hunt any of the various strata. ammonites and echinoids in south and west fort worth area.

the dfw area is a very exciting place to be to look for fossils, but you need to be familiar with big cities and their hazards. the kamp ranch may be exposed in west dallas, but that doesn't guarantee one's survival hanging out in that part of town. it's been tough there for a long time -

jpbowden

I think I'll be killed there :o

tracer

well, then take a drive up to texoma and do yourself in trying to break giant ammonites out of hammer-ringing limestone and lug them a mile or so to your car.

jpbowden

Do they have anything smaller up at that lake?

jpbowden

Thanks tracer, I'll give it a shot.

mommabetts

Make sure you post your finds when you get back home.

jpbowden

I sure will Mommabetts, we were going to go this weekend, but my wife wants us to get a new truck. I sure hate to get rid of the Maserati though.

Auspex
I sure will Mommabetts, we were going to go this weekend, but my wife wants us to get a new truck. I sure hate to get rid of the Maserati though.

Just get the Masarati Pickup with the automatic bed cover!

post-423-1225920676_thumb.jpg

jpbowden

Good idea, our Maserati looks a lot like a Chevy Venture Eco Van. I call it the Pat Mobile :D