Record Power Engraver

Fogouman

Hi does anyone out there use the record power engraver , I was thinking about getting one .

Just wanted the thumbs up or down really

Thankyou

I use one sometimes depending on what I am preparing. They work well and are reliable, but you can only use it for about 15 minutes at a time to prevent it overheating and you must be careful of white finger from the vibrations. The different settings are good, but the louder settings create a lot of noise. It is a tool value for the money.

post-4683-0-55293600-1361276734_thumb.jpg

Regards,

• 9 months later...

For the members in the USA, I believe the Record engraver is a 240 volt unit.

Could the plug be changed and then be used in our 220 volt receptacles?

Wish they made a 110 volt model!

Jed

Does anyone know of a short tutorial about basic techniques to use while prepping a fossil with an engraver?

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Does anyone know of a short tutorial about basic techniques to use while prepping a fossil with an engraver?

Hi Bev,

I've been playing with an engraver for a few weeks on smaller fossils in harder shale and limestone. I'm new at it but here is what I found:

-use the tool pushing parallel to the fossil or pushing away from it most of the time to avoid damage to the fossil

-use a shallow angle rather than sharp angle to the surface

-for fast removal of matrix make a series of straight parallel grooves, then go back over the same area moving the point across those grooves at 90° making another series of parallel grooves ( the grooves will look like the lines on graph paper but closer together) This leaves raised square areas that you can pop off with the engraver

Like I said, I'm a newbie at this so everyone feel free to comment! :) Always looking to learn!

Jed

Edited by Jed '06

Hi Bev,

I've been playing with an engraver for a few weeks on smaller fossils in harder shale and limestone. I'm new at it but here is what I found:

-use the tool pushing parallel to the fossil or pushing away from it most of the time to avoid damage to the fossil

-use a shallow angle rather than sharp angle to the surface

-for fast removal of matrix make a series of straight parallel grooves, then go back over the same area moving the point across those grooves at 90° making another series of parallel grooves ( the grooves will look like the lines on graph paper but closer together) This leaves raised square areas that you can pop off with the engraver

Like I said, I'm a newbie at this so everyone feel free to comment! :) Always looking to learn!

Jed

I agree, in my experience all that he has listed here works well. My only addition would be to exercise caution as to not vibrate a fossil apart.

For the members in the USA, I believe the Record engraver ...

So "Record" is the brand name? Thanks for that info. Every time I see this thread title I get a picture in my head of one of those stupid Power Rangers. Blue Power Ranger, Yellow Power Ranger, Record Power Engraver (he's the really big one)... Then I wonder why anyone would want to engrave records; wouldn't that make the needle skip really badly? Aren't vinyl records valuable antiques now?

Don

So "Record" is the brand name? Thanks for that info. Every time I see this thread title I get a picture in my head of one of those stupid Power Rangers. Blue Power Ranger, Yellow Power Ranger, Record Power Engraver (he's the really big one)... Then I wonder why anyone would want to engrave records; wouldn't that make the needle skip really badly? Aren't vinyl records valuable antiques now?

Don

:rofl:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes Don, and they are lots of fun to throw from a high place. You have to make sure to spin them with a vengeance as you throw them as it is the spinning effect that carries them. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:.

I am still looking for something a little more powerful than a engraver but not interested in the power ranger. I know they are out there and run on compressed air. Just have to find the right one.

Cheers

Ed

In addition to what's been said you should just practice on common broken fossils with the same hardness of matrix as what you want to prep to get a feel for it. When you must point the tip towards the fossil try holding the tool against the surface without any downward pressure. Just let the tip bounce off of the surface until it chips away. Without the pressure down toward the fossil you're less likely to ding the piece when the matrix breaks away. My first attempts were full of little ding marks until I got better control.

Engravers from a hardware store for $15 last a long time but heed the advice from Thomas about using it too long at a time.