Your Recommended Screening Equipment

NavyDad4

What screen setup would you recommend for sand or gravel sieving near a water source such as a river bank, or for dry screening? The fossils could be shark teeth, bone fragments, etc typically larger than 1/4 inch.

I once put together a screen for fossiling that was about 2 feet square with 1/4 inch openings. The metal screen was sturdy enough to handle a shovel-full. I mounted it on 4x4 posts two feet high. It was heavy but did the job of screening for echinoids at a marl pit. Since then I've read where 1/2 inch openings are better for faster screening.

I'd appreciate learning of your screening setups that have worked for dry or wet screening. Nothin' worse than showing up unprepared!

NavyDad, I make my own screens. I have them in varying sizes (12x12, 14x20 and a few others) I also use varoius mesh sizes of hardware cloth (galvanized wire screen) between 1/8 and 1/2. I use the different size at different locations, depending on what I am looking for. As far as putting them on something upright, that makes it very unmobile and is not for me, especially in a river or stream environment where you may move to several spots throughout the day.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

When im at gmr i use a 1/2 inch mesh screen. its 3 feet by 2 feet. it has pool noodles on it so it can float, then i tie a rope to it so it doesnt get loose. Sometimes the screens pokes me on the bottom so alot of people put a thin layer of wood on the bottom.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

I make my own. Not sure the dimensions but I use four pieces of 2x4 screwed together into a square. I use 1/2" almost exclusively but I do have a couple 1/4" screens. I have a tether with a snap link on the end to attach it and keep it from floating away. Pool noodles on two sides.

The noodles is a great idea - I use the 1/2" screen ( http://www.bwire.com/index.html ) in galvanized, but I think something a little finer would best serve for this purpose. I have been meaning to get the finer screens but I have not gotten around to it. Never thought of the noodles idea to make it float, but that is ingenius! thanks guys.

I have two that I made. One that is 1/4 inch mesh and one that is 1/2 inch mesh. I got the mesh from Home Dopot in the garden section. Both are 2 feet by 1 and a half.

Hey NavyDad,

Screens are relatively easy to make and you can greatly diversify to fit your requirements. I prefer somewhere between a 2'x2' or 20"x2' screen which makes it easier when using a roll of screen from Home Depot to screen it. Handles work wonders not only for use but also transportation. 1/4" to 1/2" is the best for screening but it all depends on what you want to find and the material you're going to sift. It's harder then hades to screen dry material with a quarter inch screen. I have a friend who drilled a pair of holes into each side and ran rope through to lift and screen instead of having to bend over at the waist to lift heavy screens so he just uses his arms.

Just noticed you're in Surf City, not too far away from me, well for the week anyways. Just got orders to Japan.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I have created two. Both using plastic screens (garden fencing) very strong and never rusts. I mounted them on 3 inch PVC tubes. Pieced together with corner joints. There light and float well. Can handle two or three large scoops, transports easy and I can change the mesh size easily if needed. Mesh is attached with thick zip ties, again they don't rust or break. I tie a line to it so I can throw it over my shoulder and to tie to my waist during use. Don't want it to float away.

I have created two. Both using plastic screens (garden fencing) very strong and never rusts. I mounted them on 3 inch PVC tubes. Pieced together with corner joints. There light and float well. Can handle two or three large scoops, transports easy and I can change the mesh size easily if needed. Mesh is attached with thick zip ties, again they don't rust or break. I tie a line to it so I can throw it over my shoulder and to tie to my waist during use. Don't want it to float away.

I made a pvc screen once and didn't like it compared to the wood. The light weight was great but that was the only thing I did like. Just for the record, the metal rolls of screen from the hardware store most of us use doesn't rust.

It may have been mentioned, but use heavy duty gloves and be careful. That mesh unrolls like a spring and after being cut, is able to poke twenty or so holes in your arm a cm deep in a blink of any eye or so I found out the hard way. Tetanous shots recommended before unrolling.

• 1 month later...

I put together a 1/2 inch mesh screen mounted on 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe, 23" x 27". Plastic noodle was used for extra flotation. A 4 foot tether is attached with a carabiner clip for belt connection.

The screen was handy for collecting in a small stream. Heavy shovels-full were easily handled. The screen floated off a few feet while shoveling. It is light and easy to use.

It can also be used for dry screening.

post-11133-0-08753100-1366242051_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

That looks like a great set up. Exactly like what I made for myself but used 3 inch pipe and no noodles. Ive thought about building folding legs for dry screening. what did you use for dry screening.

I haven't used it yet for dry screening. I thought 3 inch pvc legs with some sort of quick release connection. I also have 4 x 4's as a more stable base.

I am interested in how you will rig up folding legs. Please let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I am putting the finishing touches on a new screen that I built out of PVC and 1/4" metal screen. I used 2" PVC cut to 18" and joined into a square via elbow joints. Zip ties were used to secure the screen to the pipes and I have sprayed a coating of liquid rubber over the screen edges to help prevent pokes and scrapes. I love the idea of using pool noodles for flotation and I will definitely steal that idea.

I am also looking for a way to make some legs for it that pop on and off easily for transport... I will let y'all know if I end up doing so or get any ideas on that.

You should have being at the "Fossil Preparation & Collections Symposium" In Drumheller Alberta Canada

I now how to screen with the best of them " world wide" paleo people

When I com down I will try and let you know what was talked about on this subject

Right now my head still hurts from all in information taken in.

When your head stops hurting, let us know the key factos of prep & collections, especially the screening equipment. Sounds like it was a productive symposium.

Newbie from the prior post, please finish the legs and let us know in detail. Right now, I use bulky 4x4's.

happy fossiling... I'm off to the beach (North Topsail, NC)!

• 7 months later...

Any further info on building a set of legs for dry screening? I'm thinking about building a screening box, since my last visit to Sharktooth Hill resulted in very sore arms for a few days afterwards. I built a screening 'box' that required me to hold it and shake it. After four hours of that, I'm looking for something else. I want to build a simple box (maybe 2' x 2'), and maybe making a U-shaped leg (essentially a 2' wide U) for it out of bent EMT tubing or something like that. Then I would either drill through each end of the U and bolt it to the box, or flatten each end of the U and bolt it to the box. I would probably sleeve the bolt where it passes through the wood box to give it more strength and reduce the likelihood of splitting the wood frame of the box.

I do have concerns how well it will hold up, and I'm also not sure where along the length of the box to attach the legs. I've seen commercially available screening/shaker boxes, so unless someone has some insight to share, I'll probably just do my best to imitate those boxes.

I'd rather learn from anyone else's lessons than start from scratch if possible.

thanks,

Herb

Edited by Dogdare

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

For a very quick-and-dirty screen, especially when you have a boatload of kids going on a trip, I have used a 12" plastic colander wrapped with a noodle that was secured on with twist ties with a small length of rope to tie to your belt loop so it won't float away. We've had very successful hunts on the Peace River using these.

---Prem

Dogdare,

I haven't tried putting legs on my screen, yet. Coco's setup in the prior post looks very handy! This forum has proven more than helpful to me as a relatively new fossiler.

May you and your family have a blessed Christmas season.

steve

;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg