Gastropods + Others From Whiskey Bridge

squalicorax

Hey all. I know some of you are experts on the whiskey bridge site

Id like to post my identifications of all the gastropods ive found on my one trip there about 2 years ago now.

Thanks for any insight you may offer.

Ancilla staminea

SOvyzwxl.jpg

Architectonica

tYcfJWBl.jpg

Athleta

hENDVbKl.jpg

Atwateria

2LbXnL7l.jpg

Buccitriton sp

xI2b7fGl.jpg

Cochlespiropsis

ufWInsrl.jpg

Conus sauridens

V4GNZvpl.jpg

Distorsio personella

hSjLaPNl.jpg

Fusimitra

0zwAQwZl.jpg

Gegania antiquata

BF3FmUXl.jpg

Hesperiturris

kMgLl0wl.jpg

Lapparia moorgana

fIMcExhl.jpg

Latirus

9hbQugzl.jpg

Levifusus mortonopsis

9jJa7Xfl.jpg

Michella

aqhbBv4l.jpg

Neverita limuli

AtegnnWl.jpg

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

Really nice! You have a mix of common to I think uncommon stuff there. I'm going to save the photos to my computer because they are better than any in my literature. And those weird little etchings(?) on that gastropod are too cool.

Hi,

They are nice ! Congrats. What is their age ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Very nice specimens!

Coco the site is Eocene.

I think the coral is "Balanophyllia desmophyllum?", and the pelecypod is "Barbatia uxorispalmeri?"

You got me on the gastropod etchings, but I think you are right with the bryozoan idea.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

coco we gave you a few gastropods from this classic texas site.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

coco we gave you a few gastropods from this classic texas site.

Hi,

Ah yessss Dan ! There is another name on the label : C. M. Form. I should remember it myself with the similar name: whiskey ! :D

You see, I always love them :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Awesome images! I have no idea where Whiskey Bridge is, but I'd assume next door to heaven? Thanks for sharing.

I agree, those are amazing. :envy:

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

thats right coco, cook mountain formation. if i heard the story correctly, the bridge adjacent to the bluff was nicknamed whiskey bridge because the river separates a wet from a dry county, so all the drunks has to cross it to get their whiskey!

Grüße,

thats right coco, cook mountain formation. if i heard the story correctly, the bridge adjacent to the bluff was nicknamed whiskey bridge because the river separates a wet from a dry county, so all the drunks has to cross it to get their whiskey!

Ah, Yes. At one point in the not too distant past the county on the east side of the Brazos River was dry (that is, did not sell beer or liquor). It is also home to Texas A&M University. So the Aggies (students) and other residents of Brazos County had to cross the Brazos River to get their beer and other libations. Well, several liquor stores were in business right after you crossed the river into Burleson county. Hence, the bridge was nicknamed Whiskey Bridge. After Brazos voted in beer and liquor sales the liquor stores near Whiskey Bridge went out of business and disappeared.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

I think I can help you with some identifications. By the way, congratulations you have some really nice fossils.

Ancilla staminea ; This speciment is Ancilla stamines puntulifera. The difference is that A.staminea has a shorter spire than the A.staminea punctulifera.

Architectonica sp. ; This is, I believe, Architectonica (Solariaxis) elaborata (Conrad)

Athleta ; These specimen are Athleta petrosus (Conrad)

Atwateria; These specimen are not Atwateria but are Distorsio (Personella) septemdentata Gabb. Awateria does not have any dentation on the inside of the outer lip of the aperature.

Buccitriton sp. ; You are right, these specimen are Buccitriton. There are two common species present at Whiskey Bridge. They are B. sagum and B. texanum. The difference between the two is that B. texanum has dentation on the inside of both lips of the aperature while B.sagum has dentation only on the inside of the outer lip. From your photo I cannot differentiate the two species.

Cochlespiropsis ; These specimen are Cochlespira engonata Conrad.

Distorsio personella These specimen are Distorsio (Personella) septemdentata. Characteristic of this specie are the seven teeth or bumps on the insise of the outer lip of the aperature.

Fusimitra ; These are Fusimitra sp. There are two similiar species, F. perexilis and F. polita. They can be differentiated by the number of folds on the columella. F. perexilis has three folds and F. polita has four folds. If you clean the aperature of your specimen I think you can see the number of folds and get the right ID.

Gegania antiquata (Conrad) What a great specimen.

Lapparia moorgana : This is Lapparia mooreana (Gabb).

Latirus ; This is Latirus moorei (Gabb).

Michella ; This is Michella trabeatoides (Harris)

Neverita limula ; The specimen on the bottom left is N. limula (Conrad), the specimen above it is not. It may be Tiburnus texanus (Harris). I cannot tell about the others with out a view of the bottom of the snail.

Protosurcula ; This is Protosurcula gabbii (Conrad).

Pseudoliva ; This is Pseudoliva vetusta carinata Conrad in Gabb.

Sinum declive ; Congratulations, a really exceptional specimen.

Turritella houstania ; This is Mesalia claibornensis Harris

Unknown bivalve ; This is Barbatia (Barbatia) uxorispalmeri Stenzel and Krause

Coral ; This is Balanophyllia desmophyllum Milne-Edwards and Haime

Encrusting Bryozoan ; I have seen the marking on a number of fossils from Whiskey Bridge and other Eocene locations. I do not see any encrustation and I have always thought these were tracts made by snails trying to drill into the larger snail. Sort of marks made by attempts at predation.

I hope this helps. My primary references are Vol 7 and Vol 48, Bulletins of American Paleontology and the Paleontology Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society Publication "Middle Eocene Claiborne Group Invertebrate Fossils, Stone City Bluff, Brazos River, Burleson, County, Texas, by John and Barbara Emerson.

Jim

impressive acumen once again, mr. foam! u r always one stop shopping for eocene expertise...

Grüße,

Well done with the scales and alternate views. I may have to bookmark this for future reference!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

impressive acumen once again, mr. foam! u r always one stop shopping for eocene expertise...

Jim should be. He is after all the editor of the very first HGMS publication "Fossils & Localities of the Claiborne Group (Eocene) of Texas."

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your reluctance to settle on an identification. In examining your photos I see several candidates for identification. It could be an immature Distorsio (Personnela) septemdentata, or Bonellita parilis, or Coptostoma rameum, or Coptostoma ulmulum. When I compare your photos of the specimen to the fossils in my collection I am inclined to ID your specimen as Bonellita parilis Palmer. If I were you I would use this as a tentative identification.

You can use Bulletins of American Paleontology, Vol. 7, pg 453, Pl 70, (by K.V.W. Palmer, 1937) and "Middle Eocene Claiborne Group Invertebrate Fossils, Stone City Bluff, Brazos River, Burleson County, Texas", by John and Barbara Emerson, Published by the Paleontology Section of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society as references for this identification

I hope this helps

Jim Knight

• 1 month later...

Protosurcula

2f0R6sdl.jpg

Pseudoliva

cDiuD6ol.jpg

Sinum declive

Jk51ppFl.jpg

Tiburnus

qZNrGdKl.jpg

Turitella sp

HgDf6PPl.jpg

Turritella houstania

AiPN7mzl.jpg

Unknown Bivalve.

WbE5r8Sl.jpg

Coral?

3t3eDotl.jpg

Striatolamia

fccj8tll.jpg

Encrusting Bryozoan?

hHVeGZul.jpg

All Scales in cm

Impressive assortment of fossils, Nathan!!!

Congratulations and thanks for showing them.

I have to thank much Jim, as well, whose the following description helped me to get the full id of my recently found Fusimitra gastropod:

''Fusimitra ; These are Fusimitra sp. There are two similiar species, F. perexilis and F. polita. They can be differentiated by the number of folds on the columella. F. perexilis has three folds and F. polita has four folds. If you clean the aperature of your specimen I think you can see the number of folds and get the right ID.''

A Greek friend of mine had suggested it's about Fusimitra and after the above I know the exact id: Fusimitra perexilis.

Thanks again.

Astrinos

post-4345-0-27825600-1365664823_thumb.jpg

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 7 months later...

Archived