A Good Day At The Scotia Bluffs

theoriginalrods

I'm fairly new to fossil hunting and I live in Humboldt County, Northern CA. I took a trip out to the Scotia Bluffs for the first time yesterday and found some marine fossils. First I came across countless cockle shells which eroded off the sandstone cliiffs right next to the trail. The trail is on abandoned railroad tracks and it takes you to a bridge which was missing some boards and scary to cross. My dog was not happy but did cross with me. After that, I found a moon snail and some clams including a razor clam. After getting bit by and removing a bunch of ticks I recrossed the bridge. I then found a side trail leading up to a muddy ridge where I found the scallops. I also found what I think is petrefied wood (last picture) sitting on the trail.

I forgot my bag in the car so I had to carry everything out and I don't have a rock pick yet so everything was found out in the open. Overall I had a good day and found some nice fossils. I will definetely be back with a bag and a pick!

post-10999-0-92433700-1361686960_thumb.jpg

post-10999-0-11199900-1361686979_thumb.jpg

post-10999-0-36659100-1361686989_thumb.jpg

post-10999-0-85465200-1361687012_thumb.jpg

post-10999-0-89507800-1361687031_thumb.jpg

You found some great specimens there... Top left in the 4th photo looks a real crisp specimen... Keep us posted on your next trip out there...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks yes I like the clams and moon snail as well. I am lucky to have 5 or so local fossil hunting sites, but this one was nice. The specemins were bigger, more intact, and a little more variety than other local sites. I will go back in a couple weeks if the weather stays dry and do a new post.

Hey! take really BIG care of those tick bites. They can carry a very dangerous deasease ! And on the cherrfull side: realy nice shells! Congrats! :)

Yeah that's gotta be the first time I've used the words "tick bites" and "good day" together. I'll be alright though; it's not the first time I've been bit by ticks...

Enjoyed seeing the finds! I remember fondly roaming the backroads and seacliffs and other parts of Norcal chasing inverts! Thanks for sharing. Regards, Chris

Very nice finds. It sounds like a good spot but be careful of the ticks and shaky bridge!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Looks like a great spot! Except for the ticks! :(

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Hey! take really BIG care of those tick bites. They can carry a very dangerous deasease ! And on the cherrfull side: realy nice shells! Congrats! :)

In the US they carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.

Having experience the later, and almost dying from the experience, a little insecticide goes a long way in preventing tick deseases.