Experiments In Afocal Microphotography

mikecable

Excellent results!

Thanks. Still very much by accident--not even trial and error. I have spring break off and plan to spend some time being more scientific.

I'm trying to stick to the cloud as much as possible for this series of experiments. I'm using a Samsung Google Chromebook, and downloading the photos to the Chromebook via SD card. For photo editing I've been using the online version of Picasa, which is now incorporated into Google+. I'm looking at PicMonkey and Pixlr as well. There are some museum matting framing options in the desktop version of Picasa that I miss in the cloud version.

The result is superb!

Auspex

I thanked you for your kind words, and then managed to delete the post while dealing with glitches. But thanks. Definitely an experiment in progress. But I have at least one student every day ask me how my experiments with my new toys are going. I might just be nurturing the first paleontologist that specializes in Martian formations and fossils.

Malcolmt

"If you zoom all the way in you loose brightness and have a very small depth of field. So I rare xoom to more than 2.5 (the Olympus goes from .7x to 4.0x."

Just about the first thing I learned with this scope. I believe I'm going to have to use the lowest magnification possible to achieve the best pictures.

If you have a camera that will let you play with the amount of time the lens is open (shutter speed), this will take care of the light issue. The longer the lens is open, the less light you will need.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Just beautiful!

How cool would it be to display small fossils with their enlarged portraits (if one had the room).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just beautiful!

How cool would it be to display small fossils with their enlarged portraits (if one had the room).

My thought is a display that combines the actual fossils with a digital picture frame or tablet like and IPad running a slideshow of the pictures.

Very clever idea! You youngsters and your technology...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Mike,

I really like your latest imagery. Bravo! I especially like the touch of the signature font and the mat and frame technique. I will definitely be stealing that in the future! :ninja:

Your idea of combining micro fossils with enlarged imagery into onw single wall disply is inspired! You should market them as I imagine they would sell quite nicely. I know I'd buy one!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Very nice :wub:

The "u" isn't at the right place in "Squalicorax" !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Very nice :wub:

The "u" isn't at the right place in "Squalicorax" !

Coco

And I'm a teacher!!! But of course your native language is closer to Latin than mine. Thanks. I'll definitely have to fix that.

Don't worry Mike, french is a very difficult language, and most of french people have difficulties to write correctly our nice language. I wrote that to permit you to correct the name, just because someone could write it again like that ;)

Me too, I write mistakes, in english and in french (OK, not very often in french)... :rofl:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Marvelous, Mike ! ;)

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

I recieved my Seben camera holder from Germany on Friday. 11 days to Canada not bad by regular post. No hassles at all or customs duty. Have not had chance to use it yet but was easy to figure out how to assemble and it is very sturdy, well designed. Does not feel cheap at all. Fit my three cameras with no problem

• I found this Informative 1

post-7463-0-69162800-1362874543_thumb.jpg

30X--same setup. Some washed and sieved matrix from the Atco member of the Austin Chalk Formation, collected from the TXI Quarry west of Midlothian, TX. Everything here is larger than 180 microns.

My next experiment is to try and deal with this the bits that passed through the US Standard 80 Sieve, smaller than 180 microns.

Edited by mikecable

Not the best picture, but there are a lot of very small fossils in this mix. Some look just like ostracods. But others are rod shaped structures, or sharply tapered cones. I'll try to get better pics. A few examples are in the pic above. Thoughts?

The tiny little "cigarette butt" caught my eye. What the heck is it?

Looks like one of the pieces in Gardetto's snack mix. :)

Context is critical.

This matrix is known for being rich in teeth and bits of fish. But I'm trying to take it down to a smaller sieve. When I eyeball the sieved matrix I see black sand. When I put it under a scope I see an equal mix of phospatic nodules, some of which are teeth and broken teeth, other shark and fish bits. I see just as much white, silicate material, much of which looks to be forams, ostracods, and who knows what. A very small percentage is pyrite. An equally small percentage is tan, appear to be silicaceous, and almost all appears to be fossiliferous. The cigarette butt is an example. Bone, tooth fragment, who knows.

I'm working on better pics of the small bits.

post-7463-0-17194500-1362972886_thumb.jpgpost-7463-0-74152000-1362972887_thumb.jpgpost-7463-0-57183900-1362972884_thumb.jpg

I keep getting ahead of myself, trying to take pics of really small stuff. These pics of not so small stuff aren't bad. Harvester ant bed material from the Harpersville member--Wilson's Clay Pit, Brown County, TX. The ants tended to pick up material in the 1-3 mm. range.

I recieved my Seben camera holder from Germany on Friday. 11 days to Canada not bad by regular post. No hassles at all or customs duty. Have not had chance to use it yet but was easy to figure out how to assemble and it is very sturdy, well designed. Does not feel cheap at all. Fit my three cameras with no problem

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. This little camera mount is an incredible tool in my opinion.