Is It Legal To Buy Or Own Fossil Fish Lycoptera From China?

AJ Plai

From what I know, Chinese has banned export of fossils found in China ever since 2002. But I have heard of some people saying that Lycoptera is an exception since they find so much of it in China. Is this true?

Thx

I was occasionally buying Jehol fossils from a collector/seller (Hosfossils) on ebay in 2009/10. In 2010, every one of his auctions said it would be legally over in 2011. I have not seen him since. :(

I don't think you need to worry about owning common fossils, obtained pre-2011:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90782/7210864.html

That's sad to hear and a shame.. China has so many interesting specimens, if only they were able to do legal controlled-commercial fossil trade without jeopardizing their national treasures.

I can't reference it but I have heard the exact same thing about Lycoptera.

Did you read it from here:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Fossils-Law-Ethics-amp-Forgeries?ugid=10000000001926697

That's where I got info from, but I have also heard people in the local collectors community here have mentioned it as well but can't quite confirm whether if this is true or its still the case in 2013.

Did you read it from here:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Fossils-Law-Ethics-amp-Forgeries?ugid=10000000001926697

That's where I got info from, but I have also heard people in the local collectors community here have mentioned it as well but can't quite confirm whether if this is true or its still the case in 2013.

I do not know the current laws regarding export from china, but I would caution the use of "ebay guides" as they are all authored by sellers and in my opinion, often worded to scare buyers away from all other sellers and funnel buyers to them. They essentially communicate, "you cannot trust anyone but me". This can either be done by a bombardment of unsubstantiated information lacking independant references or down right slander of other sellers. My two cents. So if anyone has real legal references, that is what would be most beneficial. Jason

Here is one reference, though I am not sure of correctness:

http://www.e-to-china.com/tariff_changes/Policy_Focus/2010/1125/88768.html

Phrases in this article seem to mirro statements found in other references that are not specific and confusing:

"A fossil under state protection refers to fossils with important scientific value or rare fossils"

"Fossils that have not yet been formally identified are not allowed to be taken abroad, and the transportation of fossils to foreign countries requires approval from the Ministry of Land and Resources"

The last sentence "Under the new regulations, organizations and individuals are not allowed to sell fossils, and state-owned entities are not allowed to sell, exchange or give away fossils to private entities or individuals" seems pretty cut and dry, except that it begs the question, what if a seller in China has gotten permission from the Ministry of Land and Resources" for fossils of no scientific value.

I guess we all need to move to China, learn Chinease, and then ask the Ministry of Land and Resources...

I think currently most of the issues have to do with vertebrate fossils. I know for example the famous Triassic site with Ichthyosaurs and crinoids is now a protected geopark so those specimens are drying up. Some of the invert sites in early cambrian soft bodied trilobites and other creatures are now parks, such as the Chengjiang Fauna Paleobiology National Geopark which means the trilobites and such from there may end up being on that list like the dinosaurs and eggs now are. I am hearing that rare and unique trilobites (from a source) are now on lists and it may be impossible to get them and if pushed after dinosaurs these specimens may become illegal to obtain if not already.

I had a friend who said his museum was raided yesterday and one of the Pssitacosaur skeletons donated by a friend and one dino egg gotten years ago were seized as the laws now say any dinosaur stuff taken after 1928 were illegal. It was 8 homeland security agents who took the specimens. So the dinos seem to still be the main issue and area of cooperation with our law enforcement groups and the Chinese.

russ

Thanks Russ. Pretty sad when even the museums can't stay on the up and up because of the difficult to follow, every changing, and sometimes retroactive laws...

Archived